New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Memory suggestion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danimal

danimal is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I currently have a Macbook w/ 1 gig of RAM. I'm usually running Photoshop, Indesign and Bridge (CS3) and Firefox all at the same time, and notice considerable lag when switching between programs. I was wondering what you guys suggest in terms of upgrading. Should I goto 2 gigs or 3? Do you guys think I'll notice a big difference or is there something else that I could do that would serve me better?

Edit: Sorry, I don't know if the 3 gig max is addressed elsewhere on this forum, but my I got that figure from http://www.pinoymac.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22399

Thanks in advance,
Dan
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

I have 2 gig in my MacBook and dont notice any lag in photoshop with lots of other apps open (including final cut express), the only issue i have is the fan noise
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I also have 2GB or RAM in my MacBook. I can run Photoshop, Illustrator, iTunes and have multiple windows open with Safari without lag problems.

Del, I hear you on the fan noise. If I even sneeze on my MacBook with Photoshop open, the fans kick on.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

2 should be fine. from 2 to 3, you most likely won't notice much performance gain unless you're running actions and filters that usually take some processing time, then it will be minimal. At that point, it may be worth upgrading to a faster hard drive if you haven't.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
danimal

danimal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys. Not the response I was expecting, so doubly thanks! Good thing i asked
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another "what lens?" thread... | which mac is best for 3d, photoshop, and CAD »