New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Is an Imac a good choice for graphic design?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rziesk

rziesk is on a distinguished road

I need to upgrade. I'm working with a G-4 733 power mac. It came with 10.1 installed but i've upgraded to 10.4 and it isn't working as well anymore, most especially, printing files for color matches. I've tried, over and over, to calibrate my monitor and it's just not working. Don't think this machine likes 10.4 much. So, i'm thinking about getting a new mac, and the imac with a 20" or 24" screen looks like the best deal, but are they good enough to do graphic design work on? Anybody?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Yes, they are.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

Absolutely!

Get the 24" if you can swing it. You can never have enough screen real estate.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Yea they're a good choice. My friend has an 20in iMac, and he said he loves it.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Vulcan

Vulcan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP, 2.2GHz, 160GB

Any computer with over 2GB memory,and a dual core processor is good enough for graphic design.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Yep,

I have the 2.4 20'' and it's fabulous, CS3 is fast as hot nails melting through butter. You'll love it. If you can't swing for the 24'' (like me) then try to get color calibrator.

You'll love it!

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rziesk View Post
I need to upgrade. I'm working with a G-4 733 power mac. It came with 10.1 installed but i've upgraded to 10.4 and it isn't working as well anymore, most especially, printing files for color matches. I've tried, over and over, to calibrate my monitor and it's just not working. Don't think this machine likes 10.4 much. So, i'm thinking about getting a new mac, and the imac with a 20" or 24" screen looks like the best deal, but are they good enough to do graphic design work on? Anybody?

thanks
LCD's still aren't considered on par with CRT's as far as getting a realistic color setup goes. There was an article a magazine posted about how the last gen c2d MBP was nearly impossible to correctly calibrate, especially because of the gamma problem.

Regardless, I still edit my pictures on a MBP, so depending on how picky you are, you might want to look at some other options. I'm not sure how the iMacs work, but if you can hook up an external monitor, you might want to get a cheap crt, or first of all, check reviews on how well they take to calibration.

Like I said though, it comes down to how picky you are. I think that's the only issue. Pretty much any computer bought today (unless it's a real POS) will run Adobe with no problem and handle most any GD work thrown at it.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Defsolutions

Defsolutions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD

Yes.. but arent CRTS starting to become exctint and we are now living in the world of LCDS?

Billy Koch
A Mac Noob - Turning to the Dark Side...
QUOTE Thanks
Larrykin

Larrykin is on a distinguished road

M view is that the Mac Pros are the best for graphic design as they will allow for different graphics cards and expansion. You can also add dual monitors and other upgrades. They also take a lot more RAM than the iMacs and so are much more future proof.

Having said that, they are expensive, so unless you really need to do a lot of Photoshop work or video, then an iMac will definitely do the job.

My 2 cents.
QUOTE Thanks
Malachi

Malachi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 white book with some niffty icons

Then just find an old Mac crt and you will have the best of the best.
I had one but gave it to my neighbor a few years ago, was the best monitor I had ever had.

The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing
QUOTE Thanks
Malachi

Malachi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 white book with some niffty icons

Found one on Craigslist and one on ebay.

The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing
QUOTE Thanks
DoneDeal

DoneDeal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS

No doubt.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrykin View Post
M view is that the Mac Pros are the best for graphic design as they will allow for different graphics cards and expansion. You can also add dual monitors and other upgrades. They also take a lot more RAM than the iMacs and so are much more future proof.

Having said that, they are expensive, so unless you really need to do a lot of Photoshop work or video, then an iMac will definitely do the job.

My 2 cents.
But for the most part, unless you're trying to run CAD type programs, most graphic design is done in 2D and doesn't require a video card. And 2gb is good for design, 4gb really won't make much of a difference besides shaving seconds off of automations and such.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Larrykin

Larrykin is on a distinguished road

Sure it's doable, I use a Mac Book Pro for my professional design work.

I don't know about CAD, but 3D rendering a video all redraw faster with more powerful graphics cards. But perhaps that is an expensive luxury.

But I'd say that 2GB is the absolute minimum for graphic design. OS X itself grunts along with anything under 512mb dedicated solely to the system. That leaves 1.5 GB for Photoshop (which will happily swallow up the rest if it can) InDesign, Illustrator and so on.

And if you plan to have them all open at once to drag and drop between Adobe applications, then 2GB is pushing it. I recently added 3GB to my Powerbook (up from 2GB) and my working day improved noticably. But the 3GB limit in my model is still a pain.

If I was regularly dealing with large photoshop files in a commercial production environment, then a Mac Pro with 4GB would still be my first choice, allowing for upgrades to 6 and 8gb RAM in the next two-three years.

Of course my accountant has first say on these things.
QUOTE Thanks
robghosh

robghosh is on a distinguished road

I'm running CS3 on a 24 inch 2.33 iMac and have had no problems. It's 2 gigs and ideally, I'd love three, but can't do it right now. I have InDesign, Photoshop, Entourage and Firefox open at almost all times and it still flies. Colors are vibrant and unless you're going to be doing CAD work, there's no need for a MacPro. I'm using 120 mb files in photoshop and applying filters and transformations to them with no problem whatsoever... I would also highly suggest looking at the refurbed models on Apples website. You can pick up the last generation iMac 24 inch for $1499. Definitely worth it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wallpaper for my mac - the adium one | Pick a camera for me! »