New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

New camera, lots of zoom, smaller size, I JUST CANT CHOOSE!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

Hello everyone,
So, i have been looking for a camera for a long time, i just cannot choose!
Right now my biggest consideration is the Kodak Z812IS. I tried it, i loved it. Its cheap, and has everything i need. But im still not final.
I really like the Canon digital ELPH series, but those dont offer more than 4x zoom, sadly..........how about the Lumix TZ3? Comments on that?
I would say my budget is less than $300,
I want more than 10x zoom (i will accept 6x and up if the camera suits my needs perfectly)
I NEED some sort of stabilization, my hands shake badly.
I would prefer it to use SD cards (but again, will change)
Zooming in movie mode is a nice feature.
I like optical viewfinders, but can live without.
Needless to say, it needs to have good image quality
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tanner.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Also, watch what type of zoom. 4x optical zoom is superior to 10x digital zoom as the optical zoom will zoom in with the lens and digital zoom just zooms in on the picture, so it's not an actual zoom.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Oh yes, i did forget to mention the zoom type.
My current camera (Samsung Digimax A402), is getting VERY old. When i bought it, it was a great camera, having only 4x digital zoom, its still amazing that it takes good pictures, but im more than ready to step into the optical world :-D
QUOTE Thanks
Rowe2ry

Rowe2ry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD

Saying you want more than 10X zoom is a selfish thing to me. You're lucky, you'll ,most likely be able to find it for your budget price. As an SLR user, I can say that 10 zoom comes for at least $200 and at most $3,000 for me. But yeah, some cameras come with up to 14X optical zoom (optical, look for optical! digital zoom is crap, forget it exists and if you have it don't use it). Good luck I don't know the point and shoot industry very well.

I drive a Mazda Rx-7, shoot a Canon 20D, and soon.......... I will use a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

The main thing you should worry about is image quality. I recently used a minolta (or was it fuji?) camera with 10x optical zoom. 7 megapixels. But it was totally lacking in image quality. I'd prefer my 3.1megapixel Nikon 3100 any day (now I got a Sony W55...its okay. Nice and slim though)
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
The main thing you should worry about is image quality. I recently used a minolta (or was it fuji?) camera with 10x optical zoom. 7 megapixels. But it was totally lacking in image quality. I'd prefer my 3.1megapixel Nikon 3100 any day (now I got a Sony W55...its okay. Nice and slim though)
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, i did use a fuji recently with 10x optical, it did not seem good.

Out of the Kodak Easyshare Z812IS, Canon Powershot SD850IS, and the Panasonic Lumix TZ-3, which has the best image quality? I have used all of them except the lumix, and i trust Canons image quality, however it only has 4X zoom, and im not really fond of the higher end Canons, the S3 is great, but because of the size i would never end up using it, if there was a smaller alternative to the S3 i would be all for it.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i've got a Lumix DMC-TZ1 with a 10x zoom and I find it to be very acceptable for a cheap-ish point and shoot.

you can always check the models you're looking for on flickr as you can search pictures by camera to see what they're capable of.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Wait,

Just checking up and i came upon the Canon Powershot SX100IS,
although not release until october, it already has a lot going for me, ive known to trust the image quality of Canon. Thats the big thing. It doesnt look all that bad either. Ill wait until its released then go have a look 'in the flesh'. :-D
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

I'd say Canon. Didn't like the lumix PQ as much. Not sure about that model though
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Hey tanner! My avatar is the same as yours!
QUOTE Thanks
SIDTURBO

SIDTURBO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.

Hi

Check ou this wensite.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Then look to the left side of the page and choose DAVES PICKS and then choose LONG SHOTS.

The Canon S3 IS is the top choice with 12 times zoom and image stabilization. It comes in under you budget too. Have fun!
QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

AtTheCross is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM

canon sd1000 ~$200 3x optical 4x digital zoom nice camera

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Hey tanner! My avatar is the same as yours!
Oh so it is!
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

@ SidTurbo,
Well, i was (and maybe still am) considering the S3. However, i would like to look at the SX100IS first, and if i dont like it, the S3 would be my choice. The only reason i didnt like it was because of its obviously (very) bigger size. I wouldnt see myself taking as many pictures (because id have to lug it around), and i dont think it would get as much use. This is one of the main reasons im considering a digital ELPH, but im willing to get a bigger camera if it means better quality. If only canon would release an ELPH with say 6x optical zoom, even if its a little bigger.....-sighs-.

Oh, and does anyone know if the S5 is smaller than the S3?
Just wondering, i can imagine its not, but i dont know.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I've been looking at getting the Lumix TZ-3 for a while now...
Pros:
- Long zoom
- wide angle (28mm) lens
- Decent movie mode (no zoom whilst in movie mode though)

Cons:
- A bit noisy and a bit agressive with the noise reduction
- No manual shooting mode
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Red Eye reduction | Can I Justify Text in Photoshop? »