New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Needing / Looking for a new lens.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thelox714

thelox714 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I've recently bought a zoom lens, but I'm looking for a new one. I just bought the Canon Zoom Lens EF 70-200mm 1:4 L USM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...53HH5/photonet
Amazing lens, I love it very much.

I'm also using the stock 18-55 MM lens. I am looking for something in between. Looking for any suggestions, and I turn to the boards.
I do have this on a Canon Rebel XT, and I would very much appreciate any help.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

I have this lens on my 20D, and it almost never comes off. For the price, I'm very happy with it:
EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

You might also look at this, this is really probably a better match to the 70-200 than the 28-135 is... I don't own it (went with the 28-135 instead) but I know people that do and they're very happy with it:
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
Rowe2ry

Rowe2ry is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD

-Canon EF 24-70 1:2.8 L USM
-Canon EF 24-105 1:4 IS L USM
-Canon EF-S 17-85 1:4-5.6 IS USM
-Canon EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM
-Replace kit lens with new IS version.

There are my recommendations, from best choice to worst (personally that is, as something may fit your shooting style differently than mine)

Check this site out and read the reviews of all above posted lenses or anything that catches your eye.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/
Quite simply THE best Canon review site.

I drive a Mazda Rx-7, shoot a Canon 20D, and soon.......... I will use a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

if you have the money, Canon EF 24-70 1:2.8 L USM

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
jnev

jnev is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
if you have the money, Canon EF 24-70 1:2.8 L USM
on a crop camera that's way too long; get a 17-55 lens instead. the 17-85 is a pretty good option if you're on a budget; I actually have a perfect sharp copy for sale for cheap if you're interested.

the 28-135 is also a great budget lens, but 28 is also too long on a crop sensor.
QUOTE Thanks
Rowe2ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnev View Post
on a crop camera that's way too long; get a 17-55 lens instead. the 17-85 is a pretty good option if you're on a budget; I actually have a perfect sharp copy for sale for cheap if you're interested.

the 28-135 is also a great budget lens, but 28 is also too long on a crop sensor.
Yes but you missed the part where he said he has an 18-55 and a 70-200 and "wants something to fill the gap". that's:

55>Desired length<70

in which case 24-70 qualifies

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

Plus it's constant 2.8 and an L. Worth the nearly $1000 you'll pay for it.

and 24 is not too long on a crop.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Rowe2ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
Plus it's constant 2.8 and an L. Worth the nearly $1000 you'll pay for it.
Yep! notice it made #1 on my recommendation list.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I recommend ditching that kit lens. With what? I have no clue. There isn't one lens that will fill the gap between the kit lens 55mm and 70mm on your new lens. The kit lenses are cheap, inferior, and slow (3.5-5.6.) I can't say I love zoom lenses but if you must, go with f2.8 at all focal lengths.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
thelox714

thelox714 is on a distinguished road

Wow... I'm just surprised and happy at the same time at all the responses. Those are great recommendations. I am still deciding on what to go with. I will probably hold off on it, but theses are great suggestions.
Again, thank you for those people that did reply. I will post if and when I decide to go with one.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I recommend ditching that kit lens. With what? I have no clue. There isn't one lens that will fill the gap between the kit lens 55mm and 70mm on your new lens. The kit lenses are cheap, inferior, and slow (3.5-5.6.) I can't say I love zoom lenses but if you must, go with f2.8 at all focal lengths.
I've taken some great photos with the kit. Heck, a lot of people have taken excellent photos with the kit lens.

It may be soft and it's quality may not be able to touch that of a $1000 L, but it's not always about equipment. Then again, good equipment helps.

Another good lens that's not too expensive for an L is the Canon 17-40 f/4 L. I think it's only about $650. It's a little short in the range, but has typical L quality.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It's not a bad lens for the price or that someone can't take a great photo with a kit lens but there is a big jump in quality of the optics and resolution when a nicer lens is used.
I love the softness of the lens on my Diana. But I pick up a DSLR for the quality. Plus, I like to shoot wide open so I'm shooting film I like a 50mm f1.2 or with digital I try and use a f2.8 lens. I like shooting with the Canon 85mm f1.2 but that thing weighs a TON!

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ScreenShot | Beginner! »