New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Quark: Opening With 6.5 not 7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stocky

stocky is on a distinguished road

I tried "Get Info -> Open With -> Change all" the get Info dialog automatically reverts back to Quark 7.

Im thinking it probably has something to do with launch services, and was wondering if there was a terminal command or anything that might help me change the default application.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, stocky.

Do you have both versions of Quark installed? Maybe at one time, you opened up both versions and something is mucked up somewhere.

Anyhow, you can download MainMenu and perform the Rebuild -> LaunchServices script.
QUOTE Thanks
stocky

The first half of my post got cut off.
I do have both versions installed because im still testing 7 but I would like 6.5 to be the default app when I double click on a 6.5 doc. but it automatically opens in 7. im working with 6.5 most of the time and when i do have a 7 doc I would just like to drag it to v7.
I imagine there must be a way I can select what application opens a doc but have had no luck
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well apart from the Get Info thingy you already tried without any luck, I really don't know of any other. Someone else will have something else to suggest, hopefully.

At school we also have both versions but I prefer the added features of 7 so I never use 6.5.2 anymore. Some students did launch one version when the other one was already open and it did mess up things royally. Just make sure you quit one if you want to use the other.
QUOTE Thanks
stocky

When I tried "Get Info -> Open With -> Change all" the get Info dialog automatically reverts back to Quark 7 after I open v7.
Ive tried progams such as RCDeaultapp and Filebuddy to no avail because of the type and creator codes being the same.

If I could somehow change change launch services to think only 6.5 exists to open a doc then I could always open with it UNLESS it is a v7 document in which case I could drag to it

In essence i dont want people opening 6.5 docs in 7 by accident but have the ability to open a v7 doc if thats what they are sent
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
When I tried "Get Info -> Open With -> Change all" the get Info dialog automatically reverts back to Quark 7 after I open v7.
Ive tried progams such as RCDeaultapp and Filebuddy to no avail because of the type and creator codes being the same.

If I could somehow change change launch services to think only 6.5 exists to open a doc then I could always open with it UNLESS it is a v7 document in which case I could drag to it

In essence i dont want people opening 6.5 docs in 7 by accident but have the ability to open a v7 doc if thats what they are sent
There is no problem with opening a 6.5.x file in 7, the catch is how you save it in Quark 7 for someone opening it in 6.5.x.

I have 7 at home and until very recently, we only had 6.5.2 at school. I could open my school homework and continue working on the files here in Quark 7 but had to save the file differently:

- In Quark 7, under File, select Export -> Layout as Project and choose 6.0 from the drop-down menu. See the attached screenie below...

Once saved this way, your clients using Quark 6.x shouldn't have any problems. And if you go on working on the files, to save you have to go through the above procedure each time i.e. you cannot do Command + S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quark_export.jpg (56.4 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Interstellar

Interstellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD

Thanks for the clarification down here too, Miss Case.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Glad I could help, Interstellar.

Edited to add:

Remember though that there will only be problems for the 6.x user only if you add version 7-only features in your file.

A couple of them off the top of my head is the transparency support (which wasn't in 6.x) and the ability to place .psd files directly into your Quark document (in Quark 6.x you could only use either .tif and .eps files, if I'm not mistaken).

So in your Quark 7 files, if you stay away from these, there won't be any problem at the other end for the Quark 6.x user.
QUOTE Thanks
stocky

Here are more details. I have a multiuser environment of 10+ employees all happily using Quark 6.5, all of the advertising agencies i deal with are still using 6.5 with one small exception.
This small exception sends me 10 docs in 7 per week. We have purchased 2 copies of quark 7 just for this one exception having disastourous consequences when back saving from v7 to 6.5. I am leery of doing that on a day to day basis.

In summery if an operator mistakenly double clicks a quark 6.5 doc off the server, opens it in 7 and saves. it renders the document useless to the rest of my shop and the agency if the want the doc back in return.

Thank you for all your feedback
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well the file could be opened again by one of the two workstations with Quark 7 and do the Export to 6.0 thing and it would then be usable by all again...

The only time I had a problem is when I exported my 7.0 project as a Quark 6.0 file but selected Multiple languages by mistake instead of selecting 6.0 -> Single Language. Once I noticed this caused problems, it was easy to rectify.
QUOTE Thanks
stocky

Saving down from 7 is not an option for us. We and many others ive talked to have had very bad experiences with that. Quark doesnt even recommend it themselves.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« over exposure screen settings | Photo Editing For The Newbie »