New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Scanning multiple photos at once

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

I have a Canon LiDE 60 scanner, and am working on a large photo archive project. The software that comes with the scanner is supposed to do "multi-scan" -- scanning one platen full of photos at one time into multiple files. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not -- scanning one photo out of maybe 3 or 4 that are on the platen. Nothing changes between the scans -- just sometimes works and sometimes not. Also sometimes saves the scanned photos, and sometimes not. I have done all the troubleshooting I have been able to find (uninstalling, reinstalling, etc.) and the problem persists.

So, the question is, what software can I find that will allow me to do my multi-scans? I looked at VueScan, and it does not support this -- only something that apparently allows you to quickly change photos on the platen. I looked at Photoshop Elements, and it says it does multi-scans, but I'd love to hear from someone who has accomplished this before I spring for the $$$. Love to get any feedback that is out there on this software, some other (reasonably priced) software or how to fix the CanoScan problem.

Thanks in advance!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I know that Photoshop itself can do this. Just scan the entire platen as one image, and then it has a tool that determines the edges and slices the result up into the multiple images. I haven't tried it yet, but I have read about it several times. Perhaps Photoshop Elements has the same capability? Can any current PE users comment?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

I've been digging around on the Adobe site, and apparently Elements does have this function. Now, trying to find out about scanner compatibility. Or, how does the function work? It apparently works as mac57 states, one platen then slices up, but what is the connection to the scanner? Is the function built into Elements (i.e., support for specific scanners), or does it use Image Capture or something else to "connect"?

Thanks in advance for help!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Usually, your scanner has a driver and a Photoshop plugin. Between then you are "connected". Alternately, most scanners come with a freestanding app to control the scanning - you can scan with that and then open the results in Photoshop.

I can strongly recommend Hamrick Software's VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com) if you are looking for a good standalone scanning program. I have used it for years and it is excellent. I scan in VueScan and then process the results in Photoshop. That has been the front end of my scanning work flow for some years now.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

Well, I looked at Vue Scan, but it does not seem to do what I want to do. I am archiving all of our old photos, going back to 1910 or so, and I need to b=e able to scan more than one at a time. Or am I missing something with Vue Scan?

The driver and software that came with the scanner is what is not working correctly. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. I don't have Photoshop -- but thinking about Photoshop Elements -- the material says that you can scan multiple photos on the platen and then Elements has a way to change them into separate files/photos. Anyone had any experience with that?

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Comic Life/iPhoto help | Editing Photo Info - Original Date »