New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Converting PNG to JPG & Screen Capture Tool Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBurnsy

JBurnsy is on a distinguished road

Hello fellow Mac users,

I have a PNG that I am trying to set as my signature on another forum. That particular forum has a rule of images being a maximum of 500x100 pixels, and a maximum of 48.8 KB in size.

The image I want to use is 478x94 pixels but is a whopping 92 KB. I was told that if I converted it (from PNG) to JPG I might be able to swing it. Alas, I have no idea how to convert from PNG to JPG.

---

Also, I was wondering if it was possible to set Mac OS X's screen capture utility to save as JPG rather than PNG.

Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

download imagewell from here - http://xtralean.com/IWOverview.html

drag and drop the picture into the little window.
click more
and save it as a jpeg

or

open the file in preview. and click file save as. name it what you like. and select the format you would like to save it as. click save. there you go. your image in your chosen format

hope this helps

chris
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, JBurnsy.

This article will help you: Taking Screenshots in Mac OS X and Changing the Default Filetype from PNG to Whatever.

Edited to add:

Some have reported that that method doesn't always work. A more used way of going about this is this, Change Default Screen Capture Format in OS X. I've seen also some suggestions in using OnyX to change the default file type if you'd rather use a GUI than the Terminal.
QUOTE Thanks
JBurnsy

JBurnsy is on a distinguished road

Thank you Chris. Couldn't've asked for better advice. Used your Preview method and it took it all the way down to 32 KB. I can't detect a drop in quality either.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
MBasile

MBasile has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo

neither of the terminal commands worked for me, but OnyX did
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Great! Glad you found a solution, MBasile.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software for picture database | chamfered edges with photos »