New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Logical way forward with Nikon D50

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Ok well ive been thinking, and these are some of my options:

*** Option 1 ***

55-200mm f4-5.6 AF-S VR DX - £229
2GB SD Card x 2 - £11.71 e.a

Total - £252.42

*** Option 2 ***

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon AF D Cameras - £129

Nikon SB600 SB-600 Speedlight Flashgun - £149

High Capacity AA-Rechargable 2500mAh Batteries 4 Pack + Super Fast 1 Hour Charger (energizer) - £19.99

Total - 297.99

*** Option 3 ***

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon AF D Cameras - £129

Tamrac CyberPack 9 BackPack - £79.95

2GB SD Card x 2 - £11.71 e.a

Total - £232.37

-----------------------------------

They are just some of my ideas, not sure if the Sigma lens will work with my Nikon D50 and support all the autofocus etc?

Also, The main path here is all about the lens, and its to try and get a lens slightly better suited for long distance shots then my current 18 - 55mm lens

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Anybody? Im hoping to put an order in for this monday or tuesday

~~ TS ~~

“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

I am not big on zoom lenses and have no experience with the ones you mention. For budget lens you cannot beat a 50mm or 85mm prime, better images.

First thing you should buy is a flash, I would recommend a new option...pick up a SB800 and use it for awhile before getting anything else...or a prime lens and play with it then get the SB800 down the road.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Buy Nikor and don't buy cheap is you want quality. The 70-300's are usually low quality, but that's why it's only 130. If you save your money you could get a better lens. I'm not familiar with Nikon's lens line up, but usually the cheap 70-300's, Sigma, Quantaray (some made by sigma, Canon, etc... are very soft and it's hard to get good shots with them.

If you had the money 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor

I checked out Nikon's website and they have a 70-300 with VR that was $450ish american. You may be able to find one for 225 Engrish currency...that seems within your budget. Just look for reviews and such on whatever lens you choose. You don't want to be stuck spending cash on a lens that's soft and that you end up not being happy with.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Jumping into more expensive zooms (on a budget) is not too hard, you can pick up a used 70-200 or 80-200 non-vr lens for under 1k..well under 1k.

I know of some places in the states, but not sure if they ship to the UK. Good resource for used other than photography forums is www.keh.com KEH camera is out of Atlanta, GA and the quality of the used (Bargain) is actually quite good I have never been disappointed with anything rated at bargain or above.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Mac-Forum's Bar & Grill

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating a Book in iPhoto | Resizing Pictures »