New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

help ! cleaning lens ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

how can i clean my lens i have taken a picture with a plain background e.g. a white wall and i can see a large set of dots on my pics.

heres an example

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...dirtonlens.jpg

you can see it on the lower cloud the large grey dot.

help !

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Chris, is that a DSLR camera you use? If so, it could be dust on the sensor. Here is a How To.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

The best thing to use is an anti-static cloth... which you can pick up from basically anywhere that sells cameras.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Chris, is that a DSLR camera you use? If so, it could be dust on the sensor. Here is a How To.
^^ most likely the case...

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

yh it is a Canon 350d DSLR i have found out it isnt on the lenses but on the mirror/part inside the camera.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

i have cleaned the sensor with air and a small cotton bud. seems fine.

is it ok to clean the lens (top) not the camera end. part with these wipes ? i use them on my computer, phone screens but are they ok with the lens ?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 79.jpg (62.2 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
i have cleaned the sensor with air and a small cotton bud. seems fine.

is it ok to clean the lens (top) not the camera end. part with these wipes ? i use them on my computer, phone screens but are they ok with the lens ?

thanks
We have the same camera you and I, chris!

To clean my lenses and lens filters, I use 95% alcohol (have to go to the liquor store to buy it) and wipe them with Microdear cloths. It's the only solution I could find that wouldn't leave any type of residue or fibres on my lenses.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

egads!!! don't clean the sensor with a dry swab...can be bad...especially one that's cotton and has fibers in it...it can make a bigger mess than what was there.

Generally just using a blower will do the trick. If you have any other stubborn particles that won't dislodge, use a wet cleaning system...

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok ta ' village idiot'

macheadcase i have found that the dirt is definatly on the mirror or something inside the camera.

also. i dont quite get u. are those wipes ok to use ? i wont until i get a reply.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Chris, I did reply to you, sorry for not being clear. To clean lenses, I only use what I posted above the alcohol and the Microdears. Never under any circumstance use wipes for the interior mechanism of your camera.

Those wipes are specially formulated for LCD screens not for digital camera mirrors OR lenses. And never use cotton buds: they leave absorbent cotton debris and it can only make matters worse.

The Digital Rebel XT had a section in the User's Manual in how to clean the camera, CMOS sensor and mirror. Take a look and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok thanks. i will read the part of the manual. if not will get it done in a camera shop.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Livequartz:applying a filter to only a section of a picture. | sort by resolution »