New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

MacBook and CS3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Meatball

Meatball is on a distinguished road

I'm considering my first Mac after years of PC use. I've used several different Macs at school friends house etc, but I've never owned one. I'm a hobbiest level photographer and I'm wondering if a Macbook will be powerful enough to run CS3 and Lightroom. That is my current workflow on a my PC and I would hate to lose performance just because I was to cheap to spring for the MBP. Does anyone have experience running these 2 programs on a Macbook. (I'm looking at getting the black version maxed out in Ram)

Thanks,

MB
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

i'm a hobbyist photographer as well and use lightroom and cs3 on my macbook with no problems what so ever, they run flawlessly.

CPU 2ghz C2D Black Mackbook/2gigs Ram/120gigHDD
Camera Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lenses Canon 18mm-55mm/100mm Macro/75-300mm/70-200f/4L/10-22 UWA
Check Out My Work
QUOTE Thanks
FishinFool

FishinFool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

I sometimes use both lightroom and Photoshop CS2 (I suspect CS3 would run similar) on my white Macbook with 256 RAM (or whatever it came with in the box)

Anyways, from my experience, Lightroom worked great and did not hog all that much CPU power. Photoshop worked well however, if you forget an external mouse it can be a big pain. Render time took about 1.5 - 2 times longer than it does on my iMac G5 which, is expected considering the difference in specs.

Xbox Live Gamertag:tr00p3rls

WoW Account (Demon Soul-Horde): Cabøøse
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

cs3 runs better on the macbooks than cs2 because cs3 has implemented the intel processors into it.

CPU 2ghz C2D Black Mackbook/2gigs Ram/120gigHDD
Camera Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lenses Canon 18mm-55mm/100mm Macro/75-300mm/70-200f/4L/10-22 UWA
Check Out My Work
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Lets imagine, performancewise you are ok with the MB. How about the colours? Recently I have seen people comparing same colours in MB, MBP and Apple display. The outcome was pretty shocking. If you are planning to do something serious with Photoshop, MB is probably the wrong choice.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

The new 15" MacBook Pro screens are a lot better than the MacBook one (the MacBook screens are fine for most people, but if you start to take photography seriously then the screen quality/colour fidelity will be very important).
QUOTE Thanks
Meatball

Meatball is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great advice. I hadn't even considered the difference in screens. I thought that screen quality would be the same across the Apple family, at least in laptops. I guess that color management becomes even more important. Have any of you worked with calibration software on any of the macs? I currently have most of my printing done from online labs, but I'd like to move to doing more printing at home.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Depends on what your used too.

I have an older G5 desktop with a lot of RAM, processes with lightroom, Photoshop CS3 and Bridge CS3 without any real slow downs (along with other aps running)

The Macbook Pro with 2 gig RAM works well and pretty quick with Lightroom and Photoshop open, but if you have lightroom performing an action in photoshop at the same time there is lag.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe Photoshop CS3 Academic Edition Question | Picture Importing Question »