New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Applying Icons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Destructive

Destructive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle

So, I just got some new icons that look really cool. I have one for Safari, iChat, and Garageband. But I cant drag them into the dock, and if I double click them, it says it doesnt have an application to open it with. How do I apply these icons?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Right click on the icon you would like to use and select "copy"

find the actual Application (say Garageband) in the Application Folder.

Right click on it and select "Get Info".. or select the application with 1 click and press Apple+I

click on the current icon in the top of the Info window that appears, it will have a very slight blue around it to show it is selected... now press Apple+V (paste)... and close the window.. Viola!

To go back the the default icon... in the get info window, select the icon, then press Apple+X (cut).. or just press the Delete key.
QUOTE Thanks
p1p3r

p1p3r is an unknown at this point

The program CandyBar makes this much easier if you're doing multiple icons!http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/mac/16010
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

YOU can change any icon by going into get info, and pasting the new icon over the old one. Some system icons like the trash and safari require more work to change the icon. Candy bar makes it easy.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo15 View Post
YOU can change any icon by going into get info, and pasting the new icon over the old one.
What file format must these icons be in? GIF? JPG? a.n.other?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
What file format must these icons be in? GIF? JPG? a.n.other?
I've found that pretty much anything works... I have used images directly from the web as icons.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
I've found that pretty much anything works... I have used images directly from the web as icons.
Cool, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

While we're at it...

Does Candybar do anything differently than the usual copy/paste method? Candybar doesn't see my Windows partition volume for some reason so I had to copy/paste the icon for it. I changed the Macintosh HD icon in Candybar just fine. The problem is, when I boot up via Boot Camp and hold alt to choose, only the Macintosh HD has changed, not the Windows HD. Anyone know what else I can try to get the icon to change so that I see it at boot up as well?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto and Photoshop Elements 4 | Photoshop CS3 Problem >.< »