Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
    Thinking Of Getting Into Digital Photography
    I've always loved photography. I used to have a digital camera, a 5.5 mp Minolta (I had it about 3 years ago when that was alot better lol) but when my car was stolen my camera went with it.

If I do get back into it, I need to be slightly economical. I'm a fulltime student, and really just want to take some good pictures with a decent camera.

Does anyone have any affordable suggestions? I've been looking at these Konica-Minoltas.

Right now my only camera is my 35mm SLR Nikkormat <33

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
    Your nikon lenses would work on a DSLR. Nikon makes several cheaper models.
    http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before

Richmond, VA, a native of Chapel Hill, N.C.
    Specs:
    17' iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 1g ram | iPod Photo 60gb | 2G Shuffle
    The Nikon N40 is a great entry-level DSLR, and if you have nikon lenses, they'll work just fine.

If you're not looking to make that jump, i'd recommend picking up a used Sony F717 or F828. This is the second time today i've talked these cameras up to someone on this board, and i swear i'm not a sony rep. They're just fantastic cameras, usable, they've got carl zeiss glass, great shots, nightvision, and the later models can make toast (requires firmware upgrade). Neither of them shoot .raw, though, so if that's your prerogative, you'll have to look elsewhere. The F717 can be had used for about $300 or less, the F828 is around $500 used.

The best place to look for camera reviews, impo, is dpreview.com. the reviews are intensely in-depth, with every possible aspect of the geat in question being fully reviewed.
    spice.

Quote Originally Posted by CackalackyMac View Post
    The Nikon N40 is a great entry-level DSLR, and if you have nikon lenses, they'll work just fine.
    This model only uses AF-S lenses - so older lenses with no internal focusing motor will not work on this camera.

It's cheap enough with a kit lens anyway though.

For Non-DSLR I'd recommend the Panasonic Lumix Fz8 or FZ50
    Home - Macbook Pro 15" : 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo : 2Gb RAM

Work - Mac Pro : 2.66 Ghz Quad core : 5Gb RAM : Twin 20" Cinema displays

Specs:
    Mac Mini, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, Apple TV 4th Gen, Apple Watch (38mm Link Bracelet)
    I personally had some hands-on time with a Canon Ixus 850 IS and have to say it's a brilliant pocket camera. It has fantastic zoom, good video, and some serious face recognition and auto-detection for exposure etc.

In my opinion, the best mid-range camera out there.

If you want to go DSLR, you should opt for the Canon EOS 400.

In any case, go Canon.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System by hitting the icon on the left.

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Buy a Canon 5d while you're at it. It's only like $2500 or so. You won't regret it too much

Decide film or digital. Digital will be a slightly more expensive medium to start on, but will ultimately be cheaper unless you're getting every single photo printed. You can find used and refurbe digitals for cheap. I think you can find a Canon 300D digital Rebel for about $300 now. They were nearly a grand when they first came out. Not the fastest or best camera out there, but it's great for learning on and there's people out there that regularly shoot on them.

A used D70 is a great camera from Nikon, but more expensive.

The biggest decision to make when buying a brand is which one has the better lenses for you. Because upgrading from a Nikon that you have a lens collection for to a Canon can be expensive.

Also, unless you absolutely have to have it...I'd not reccomend the D40.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
    I have a nikon D40 wich is a good dSLR for the price, its also my first dSLR. I had a shoutout with one of my friends. she have a Canon EOS 350 or is it a 400, cant remember, we both used the kit lens and it seamed like the D40's pictures is a bit lighter, but i like it, otherwise not really a big difference.
    http://www.last.fm/user/Pjawsk/

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Wow... that's just amazing. You pwn

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by sLux View Post
    I have a nikon D40 wich is a good dSLR for the price, its also my first dSLR. I had a shoutout with one of my friends. she have a Canon EOS 350 or is it a 400, cant remember, we both used the kit lens and it seamed like the D40's pictures is a bit lighter, but i like it, otherwise not really a big difference.
    Nikons have poorer high ISO performance. How much is a hotly debated topic on some occasions. And how much that means to a noob or general hobbyist is sometimes nil.

In fact, unless it's some one that's wanting more than an advanced point and shoot, it may never leave the green box mode and even then, something like ISO low light photography may take a while for a noob to get into.

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Canon Rebel Xt Or Xti

Specs:
    iMac 24
    if you've got a lot of old Nikkor glass with your 35mm slr, you're probably better off not going for the Nikon D40 since, like the others have said, it won't autofocus lenses unless they're AF-S (or Sigma HSM lenses, which also have motors built into the lens)

otherwise, I can recommend the D40, since 'affordable' was one of your criteria

I dunno where the idea that the D40's high ISO performance was bad came from, everything I've read (and discovered through using my own D40) indicates its high ISO performance is one of its stronger points...

the D40 kit lens is also generally regarded as better than comparable offerings from other manufacturers.. although if you get serious you'll probably want to switch it for something a little better

but to be honest you won't go wrong with any Nikon or Canon you buy nowadays, at any price point... and like anything, it's the eye behind the equipment that makes the difference

can I share with you a shot I took with my D40 last week..? it was one of those "stop the car, I need to take a pic!!" moments

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by moggs View Post
    I dunno where the idea that the D40's high ISO performance was bad came from, everything I've read (and discovered through using my own D40) indicates its high ISO performance is one of its stronger points...
    Nikon VS Canon in General. Canon cameras have some of the best high ISO performance out there in consumer/prosumer land vs the other brands. There was a comparison of a D2x and a 1D...there was a noticable difference there.

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    Nikon VS Canon in General. Canon cameras have some of the best high ISO performance out there in consumer/prosumer land vs the other brands. There was a comparison of a D2x and a 1D...there was a noticable difference there.
    Those two are pretty much pro cameras.

Just remember XMARLTONX that whichever brand you buy you'll also be investing in a lens system. A 400D is a solid dslr for the price as is the D40x. At the end of the day it's the camera that's suitable for you. Go into a shop and try them out you'll get a much better idea.

Specs:
    Mac mini
    I picked up a Canon S3 IS last year, and I've been able to pull off some excellent shots with it now that I've tasked myself with manipulating the manual mode and learning the craft of photography. The S3 is often considered one of, if not the top prosumer, fixed lens DSLR's on the market. However, as one poster noted here... It's more often the eye behind the equipment that yields the results.

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
    Nikon VS Canon in General.
    The problem with general statements is they are incorrect, your comparing apples to oranges when going from the pro level camera's too the consumer level cameras.

Canon cameras have some of the best high ISO performance out there in consumer/prosumer land vs the other brands. There was a comparison of a D2x and a 1D...there was a noticable difference there.

The full frame Canon cameras do outperform Nikon in high ISO. The non-pro (The 5D not included in this) canon cameras are no different, read no better at high ISO performance.

I have a D2x and have had some raw files given too me from the full frame canon cameras...there is a big difference having all that extra room (bigger sensor size) to place pixels in and it shows.
    http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjay View Post
    Those two are pretty much pro cameras.

Just remember XMARLTONX that whichever brand you buy you'll also be investing in a lens system. A 400D is a solid dslr for the price as is the D40x. At the end of the day it's the camera that's suitable for you. Go into a shop and try them out you'll get a much better idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin_aa View Post
    The problem with general statements is they are incorrect, your comparing apples to oranges when going from the pro level camera's too the consumer level cameras.

The full frame Canon cameras do outperform Nikon in high ISO. The non-pro (The 5D not included in this) canon cameras are no different, read no better at high ISO performance.

I have a D2x and have had some raw files given too me from the full frame canon cameras...there is a big difference having all that extra room (bigger sensor size) to place pixels in and it shows.
    Hmmm....so this is an unfair comparison? Canon XTI vs. Nikon D200. Shouldn't the D200 have the advantage here?

http://www.pbase.com/kimknapp/canon_vs_nikon

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Thread Information