New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Why on earth does iPhoto take so long to preview?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Heya everyone

Navigating through iPhoto is a breeze and is fine (and fast) UNTIL i ask it to render a print preview!

I just finished editing a photoshoot of around 100 photos, when asking iPhoto to create a Print preview (which it does in a PDF), the laptop crawls to a halt. It took nearly 5 mins to create what I woulda thought should of been simple?

Perhaps im just being impatient and expecting to much?

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Hm that is a long time for your hardware.
Have you tried repairing permissions?
How large are these photos?

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

Each photo comes in between 2mb and 4mb.

As for repairing permissions, I havent done that recently but I'll do that now if you think its the way forward

~~ TS ~~

“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I've tried something similar on my 2GHz CD macbook with 1.25GB of RAM and it does seem to take a ridiculous length of time to preview. I'm not sure why, but it does seem to be slow.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Im now running Disk Utility (Boot from CD)

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Ok when running the permissions fix it found a fair few errors but nothing really related to iPhoto although some interesting ones have been found. Ive typed the short version from the filepath it gave. Im also going to run verify disk now

Flashplayer
Library Widgets
etc/authorization
fetchmail
i386/boot.efi

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

Well Verify disk passed without any issues so where should i go from here?

Should i just wait till a new version of iPhoto?

~~ TS ~~

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Keep in mind you are asking the system to do a great deal of work.

I just did a set of 95 images that took 2 minutes and 18 seconds and the saved PDF file had a size just over 61MB. Perhaps the GPU is helping me. My FINE 7.1 megapixel jpegs range in size from about 2.2MB to 3.2MB.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

Oh, you're trying to make a pdf of 100 photos ?? Yeah man, that will take a long time! haha
I thought you HAVE a 'hunnert' photos but were trying to preview just one.
Well, you may try rebuilding your photo caches/etc. Quit iPhoto. When you relaunch it, hold down COMMAND+OPTION.

xstep... your avatar is broken. I ask it for my fortune... nothing. I filled my cd slot with quarters and still nothing. What gives?

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
xstep... your avatar is broken. I ask it for my fortune... nothing. I filled my cd slot with quarters and still nothing. What gives?
It's a false front just like Windows is to OS X.

Actually I hadn't thought of it that way. When I read your comment, I laughed out loud.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

I mean... it gives me a nod. Like something magical is about to happen. But I don't hear that sparkly sound or anything. Nothing.

QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i have just tried to print preview about 20 photos and yes it does take a long time - not sure why

but my guess would be the hd usage
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

It takes long because photos are stored in a compressed state. A 2mb photo can actually take 20MB. It depends on the compression. One of my 2.1MB JPEG photo opens up to a 14.4MB file.

So a hundred photos could require about 2GB of working memory - when you run out of ram you'll start to swap to HD. And that doesn't even count the overhead of actually working with all that data.

TS stated his files are between 2MB and 4MB = 15MB and 30MB * 100 = wowGB

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

I just gave this more thought. It takes a good amount of time to write a few GBs to disk. So imagine reading and writing a a few GB several times in order to get the job done. Then throw disk fragmentation in the mix.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« One from the vaults - Luge! | Digital Frame »