New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Getting out font-files out of a pdf-file?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anschub

anschub is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
is there any way how i could get the font-files which are stored in a pdf-file?
txh for any help
QUOTE Thanks
Interstellar

Interstellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD

Whoever sent you the PDF needs to Preflight the piece in able to include the font files.

(You can still drag and drop the PDF in the preflight folder later)

Maybe there is another way? anyone
QUOTE Thanks
anschub

anschub is on a distinguished road

well but the font files must be included in a normale pdf file, how can a pdf document include fonts which are not on other computers and still be in the same font? (Example: I'm using Gill Sans for my college work. The PCs in my college don't have Gill Sans but I can still print it off via a normal pdf document, because the fotns are included (if you go on "info" in Acrobat Read it will show you the included fonts)
I just want to get some font files out of a pdf document
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Fonts and apps that use them are moving towards copyright protection. Used to be just a dialog box warning you copying fonts wasn't nice, now they warn you that fonts without proper permissions (licences or whatever they call it) will not be exported in documents.

PDFs have the fonts embedded in the documents so they'll print correctly and that's the beauty of PDFs.

But we are talking about copyright laws here.
QUOTE Thanks
Interstellar

Interstellar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
PDFs have the fonts embedded in the documents so they'll print correctly and that's the beauty of PDFs.
So there is no way to really 'extract' the fonts to install and use on your machine.

But I agree, PDF's are gorgeous.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

in many (read: virtually all) cases it wouldn't be legal to extract a font from a PDF for use without paying a licensing fee.
Also, when most PDF's are made, only a subset of characters gets embedded into the PDF, which means you won't get a complete character set even if you were able to somehow extract a font from the PDF.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« $70 macro lens | Adobe CS3 Student Edition »