New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

I am in deep dirt!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thebeartrack

thebeartrack is on a distinguished road

I am just transferring to my iMac and I put my photos into iPhoto. Today I tried to remove some pictures and I really messed things up! Now my pictures won't display at all. Can you please tell me how to make things as they were. I want to delete all the pictures I put in so I can arrange them as I want and not by year.

Please keep it simple...

Mama Bear (old Mac user from 2002) forgot a LOT!!
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Hm.. i don't really understand that. did you transfer them already? are they already imported into the new iPhoto? Do you still have the sources on your old mac?
QUOTE Thanks
thebeartrack

thebeartrack is on a distinguished road

No, I transfered them from Windows XP on my old computer.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Assuming you simply want to delete them all and get everything back to where it was when you started (this assumes you still have the original pictures on your Windows PC however!), open up iPhoto. In the bar on the right hand side of the window, you can right click each folder, album, whatever, and select Delete from the menu that appears.

This will delete them from iPhoto. The originals are likely still where you put them when you first transferred the files over to your Mac, so you may be able to start again from this spot, without needing to retransfer from the PC - iPhoto usually just makes a copy, vs. moving from the source location.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

And in the future, stay out of the finder! Let iPhoto manage your photos, and do everything to your photos from within the app itself. Mucking about in finder will cause you great headache (which you already know)! It can result in corruption, loss of photos, etc. Use the app to organize your photos, export your photos, email your photos, etc. You and you pics will be much happier that way. Micromanaging everything is so Windows! Macs are so much easier -- why make it hard on yourself?

Good luck, and welcome to macs!
QUOTE Thanks
jrs

jrs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz, 13" Black, 160GB

Skybolt, you seem pretty knowledgeable with Mac iPhoto. I am new to Mac and used to Windows organisation of photos in folders and sub-folders. Can you advise? I have copied all my photos to my Mac and imported them into iPhoto. Each "sub-folder" from Windows has now produced a film roll in iPhoto. When I browse through the iPhoto library, I have to scroll over hundreds of film rolls. In Windows I could store the sub-folders in bigger folders and just browse over the bigger folders, thus not having to go over each sub-folder. Can I do the same in iPhoto or do I have to browse over each film roll to find the one I want? Any comments would be most welcome!!
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

O.K., first line of organization (In my opinion). Rename the film rolls to something more meaningful for you. Click on the little i button on the lower left (if the info pane is not already open). Highlight the "roll" and within that little pane on the lower left, rename the roll. This is what I do and it really sorts things better for me. Now, click on the little triangles next to the roll name and collapse the roll, so that the pictures are not showing. This will make your window less crowded. Then, I generally only open one roll at a time. You can combine photos from one roll to another by dragging the photo to the name of the target roll. I do this with my pictures of my cats -- then I have all cat pictures in one roll. Easier for me!

For the photos themselves, within an open roll, click on each picture and rename it just like you did the roll name. You can do a batch change if you want by clicking on the "Photo" dropdown at the top of the screen and choosing "batch change" (I think its "Photo", not at the mac right now). Anyway, you'll find batch change if you look.

You can create folders and albums for your photos using the File (or is it edit) dropdown. A folder holds albums. So, you could have a folder that was named "Vacations", for instance, and within that folder you would have albums for "Summer 2007", "Winter 2006", etc. This is a great way to keep track. The photos are not duplicated, they are aliases to the actual photo, so you can have as many as you want and not take up too much space.

You can also use keywords and/or smart folders. These are options that allow you to assign one or more keywords to a photo, and have them automatically put into an album. For instance, if you have a photo with several people in it, you could assign a keyword for each person's name, and the create smart albums for each name and then every photo with the keyword "Joe" would automatically go into the "Joe" smart folder.

There are many more things that are easier in iPhoto, but that is enough to get you started.

Just give iPhoto a try, it is so simple and clean! So much easier than manually doing the things that Windows users do. Believe me -- I switched about 4 years ago, and in the beginning, I tried to do things the Windows way, and made myself crazy. Then I saw the light! Let the software do the work and you just sit back and relax!

Enjoy your mac and just let us know how we can help!
QUOTE Thanks
jrs

jrs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz, 13" Black, 160GB

Thanks skybolt for that, I will try to use the tips you have suggested and try to organise my photos. I hope you don't mind if I ask you again, if (when) I get stuck. Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Image of Leopard dock bar | Photoshop CS: Cutting out a head and putting it on a different body »