New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

What makes macs better at creating things?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lpn

lpn is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the n00b question, but what exactly makes a mac better for video editing and image manipulation? Is it the operating system, or is it the hardware?

Which would work better? A mac running photoshop or the same mac with xp on bootcamp running photoshop?

It has been repeated over and over that macs are better for creation i just wanna know why!

-thnx
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Better is relative.

There are far more people using Avid or Premiere on PCs in the professional community.

As for the comparison, I would be interested in seeing the results to that test as well. Photoshop on my iMac seems to run faster than Photoshop on my HP at work...but once again, relative.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpn View Post
Sorry for the n00b question, but what exactly makes a mac better for video editing and image manipulation? Is it the operating system, or is it the hardware?

Which would work better? A mac running photoshop or the same mac with xp on bootcamp running photoshop?

It has been repeated over and over that macs are better for creation i just wanna know why!

-thnx
A misconception born of truth. The old Mac chips were better at rendering graphics compared to the pc chips at the time. This was back in the 80's mind you. And it just kind of stuck. A lot of creative type jobs use macs and just upgraded them instead of switching to PC's, so you have everyone using them, then they must be better at programs used to design videos and art and photos.

Truth is, OS X can run programs Windows can't and Windows can run programs OS X can't, but both OS's that run the same programs can do so just about equally as well provided that the program is UB for OS X, so pick which one you like and go with it.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I think it's the environment. I believe that environment influences output. Since the mac has always had such an elegant interface, mac people created nicer output.
Or perhaps the people that are capable of creating better output, went to the mac because of it's more beautiful interface...
Chicken vs the egg!

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well Adobe pulled Mac development for Premiere in the late 90s early 2000s because Adobe got its panties in a bunch because Apple came up with Final Cut which was a direct competitor. They have recently started making a Mac version, I think it was announced about a year ago. So it's understandable more people work with Premiere on a Winbox than on a Mac and from what I remember of the app when I used it, Mac users didn't miss out on much. LOL

One thing no one has mentioned yet is that colour management on the Mac is far superior on the Mac than on Windoze.
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

On a related (yet unrelated) track - it's like the legal profession.
you'll find a number of them use WordPerfect in lieu of MS Word because "back in the day' WordPerfect offered features useful to the field that Office did not.
Even if Office does now, many that I've spoken to still use WordPerfect because "it's what I use, my boss uses, my instructors used...".

Consider this little story:
Five monkeys are put a steel mesh cage. The cage has shower hoses mounted above it, and these are connected to a supply of iced water. A banana is suspended from the roof of the cage, and a ladder is placed beneath the banana, so that a monkey who climbs the ladder can reach the banana.

When a monkey climbs the ladder and touches the banana a trigger sets of the water system, and all of the monkeys in the cage are showered with iced water. After a period of time the monkeys learn to leave the banana alone.

One of the monkeys is then replaced. Of course, the new monkey knows nothing about the iced water, and it attempts to climb the ladder for the banana. This monkey is quickly seized by the other monkeys and there is a fight. Eventually the new monkey learns that it will be beaten up by the other monkeys if it attempts to climb the ladder.

Another of the original monkeys is replaced, and the process is repeated.

Eventually all of the original monkeys have been replaced, and none of the monkeys now in the cage have had the experience of the iced water. The iced water system is removed. However, none of the monkeys will climb the ladder. Why?

If you could ask any of the monkeys you would be given the same answer as any humans so often give,

I dont know, but I've been in this cage for a long time, and that's how it's always been"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Well said MHC and I really do like what voiceofra posted. I see that kind of thing daily most weeks except with human beings.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
On a related (yet unrelated) track - it's like the legal profession.
you'll find a number of them use WordPerfect in lieu of MS Word because "back in the day' WordPerfect offered features useful to the field that Office did not.
Even if Office does now, many that I've spoken to still use WordPerfect because "it's what I use, my boss uses, my instructors used...".

Consider this little story:
Five monkeys are put a steel mesh cage. The cage has shower hoses mounted above it, and these are connected to a supply of iced water. A banana is suspended from the roof of the cage, and a ladder is placed beneath the banana, so that a monkey who climbs the ladder can reach the banana.

When a monkey climbs the ladder and touches the banana a trigger sets of the water system, and all of the monkeys in the cage are showered with iced water. After a period of time the monkeys learn to leave the banana alone.

One of the monkeys is then replaced. Of course, the new monkey knows nothing about the iced water, and it attempts to climb the ladder for the banana. This monkey is quickly seized by the other monkeys and there is a fight. Eventually the new monkey learns that it will be beaten up by the other monkeys if it attempts to climb the ladder.

Another of the original monkeys is replaced, and the process is repeated.

Eventually all of the original monkeys have been replaced, and none of the monkeys now in the cage have had the experience of the iced water. The iced water system is removed. However, none of the monkeys will climb the ladder. Why?

If you could ask any of the monkeys you would be given the same answer as any humans so often give,

I dont know, but I've been in this cage for a long time, and that's how it's always been"
So who exactly are the monkeys in this story?

QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

LOL! nice one baggsss
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Those who follow blindly and would rather form opinions based on popular belief than personal experience. Those who still believe that Macs are better at creativity than Windows PCs because "that's how it's always been" instead of reasons mentioned here.

I love that story. I've worked with plenty of these monkeys in the past.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
lpn

lpn is on a distinguished road

Well there it is. Thanks alot. LOL those commercials with pc v mac weren't long enuff to explain all the technicalities. It was easier just to call the PC guy a nerd over and over.
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

I used to use Premier on a PC and I couldn't stand it. After switching to Final Cut I honestly cannot envision going back. Whether that means Mac is better at creativity is debatable. I chose Mac for the integration, stability, ease-of-use and the elegance of the UI both within the OS and in it's Programs.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Nothing. The displays are nice though.

Anything you can do with a MAC you can do with a PC..creativity is in the person and not their tools. Your computer is a tool, the MAC just runs better IMO

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

the history and monkies aside, what giulio said was what i was thinking before i even opened this thread.

when you're not cursing at your tools it's easier to maintain a creative mindset. anger and frustration at the world may be fuel to the creative fire, but the same felt for your medium is just a p.i.t.a.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
the history and monkies aside, what giulio said was what i was thinking before i even opened this thread.

when you're not cursing at your tools it's easier to maintain a creative mindset. anger and frustration at the world may be fuel to the creative fire, but the same felt for your medium is just a p.i.t.a.
Funny you should say that. My neighbor and I were just talking tonight about Stress and anger and how it hurts productivity. I got the chance to mention to him since going with OSX I spend almost no time getting angry and stressed and more getting work done. He understood and agreed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powermac g4 dual 800, good for photoshop?? | What should i buy next? »