New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Transfer images from iphoto to sd card?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rockworthy

rockworthy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" imac

New mac user here I just transfered several thousand photos into iphoto and I cant for the life of me figure out how to transfer them back to my cameras sd card so I can take the images and get them devoloped? Can someone help me? is there an online tuturial i can take to help me out with iphoto? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

I beleive if you have both the iPhoto window, and then the SD card open in Finder, you should be able to highlight all the photos in iPhoto and just drag and drop them into the SD window. This will make a copy of all of them.

Another way to acheive what you are trying to do is when in iphoto, select the albums (or main library if you want them all) that you wish to export, then go to file > Export and then select your SD card as the destination.

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
rockworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderSurrender View Post
I beleive if you have both the iPhoto window, and then the SD card open in Finder, you should be able to highlight all the photos in iPhoto and just drag and drop them into the SD window. This will make a copy of all of them.

Another way to acheive what you are trying to do is when in iphoto, select the albums (or main library if you want them all) that you wish to export, then go to file > Export and then select your SD card as the destination.

~~ TS ~~
Thanks for the reply. I cant find the connected camera anywhere in finder. I'm having a real hard time adjusting to macs. Not complaining, I just need time to figure things out.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

I have 2 digital cameras (nikon SLU and Sony point and shoot) and both are recognized by the mac when plugged in. in fact iPhoto opens automatically and asks if i want to import directly from camera. To save camera battery life and/or avoid having the battery die during transfer I purchased a USB external "thingy" that allows me to remove the camera from the equation and plug the card directly in the "thingy" it accepts SD, CF and more. I got it at Ritz camera shop. I don't remember the cost but it was not much. low enought to be an impulse buy.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

PS - my cards just pop up as a folder on the desk top.
QUOTE Thanks
rockworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmezz View Post
I have 2 digital cameras (nikon SLU and Sony point and shoot) and both are recognized by the mac when plugged in. in fact iPhoto opens automatically and asks if i want to import directly from camera. To save camera battery life and/or avoid having the battery die during transfer I purchased a USB external "thingy" that allows me to remove the camera from the equation and plug the card directly in the "thingy" it accepts SD, CF and more. I got it at Ritz camera shop. I don't remember the cost but it was not much. low enought to be an impulse buy.
Thanks for the reply. My camera does pop up in iphoto when I connect it to my imac but only to inport photos. Theres no option to send photos back to the empty card in the camera so I can remove the card and take it to the store to order prints.
QUOTE Thanks
rockworthy

Just got off the phone with apple and they said I have to buy a reader. Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

that makes no sense to me. the SD card on my mac is seen as a folder that I just click on and open, like a folder on an external hard drive or anyplace else. Maybe someone else can help
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Could be that the camera software only allows for one-way activity only i.e. download via the media card. A media card reader is indeed a good solution.

Just to save on my camera's battery, I bought a media card reader as soon as I bought the Digi Rebel I had. Good thing I did too because I had to update the camera's firmware at one point: can't remember if it was for the Digital Rebel or XT though.
QUOTE Thanks
rockworthy

I didnt install any of the programs that came with my camera because i dont care for them. i have a Canon G7 if that matters. I'm gonna go and get a reader this afternoon.
QUOTE Thanks
rockworthy

I about had it with this etire setup. Nothing is easy. I go to the store buy a reader and donload the mac driver from the companies site. I read the directions and go to start the install. I cant install because my computer wont read the installers. How in the world do people say switching is easy? I cant find squat on this computer. I simply need help. is there a program on my imac that will give me a crash course on how to do at least the basics? I'm goin out of my mind. I cant be this dumb.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You don't need a driver for a USB or FireWire card reader. The Mac will see it as any external hard drive once you have a card in it.

Instead of trying to figure this out by yourself and making mistakes, why not ask here? We can help.
QUOTE Thanks
rockworthy

sorry if I'm sounding rude. We just had a baby and I dont have the time to just fiddle around and get the feel for everything like I want to. HOw do I get back to the folder that shows my downloads? I want to erase some things?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Answer this:

Is this a USB card reader? Or FireWire?

And what brand is it?
QUOTE Thanks
rockworthy

Its USB and the brand is quantaray (ritz camera's brand) it's made by sakar.com. I can get the computer to read the sd cards now but only if they have been formatted in my camera. If I stick a blank card in the reader the computer wont find it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back Up of iPhoto | Which Lens Should I Buy Next? »