New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Back Up of iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ginger Pilot

Ginger Pilot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB

I want to back up the photos, albums and settings I have in iPhoto. I have the original photos backed up elsewhere, but I want an exact copy of the iPhoto folder. I've not put all my photos into iPhoto and don't want to spend the hours and hours sorting them again.

However the iPhoto folder is nearly 6GB so I can't just burn it to 1 DVD. Without taking individual folders out can I burn the whole folder to 2 discs? Can I make a dmg file and burn it to two discs?

I just wish Apple had the foresight they had with iTunes and included a similar back option!

GP
QUOTE Thanks
FishinFool

FishinFool is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5

I have a similar question...
I backed up all my photos using apple Backup sometime ago. The other day I tried to put all the pictures on another comp using Backup's restore option. The files appear to be in the computer however they do not appear when iPhoto is opened. All the pictures are in their proper subfolders however iPhoto only sees the ones that were imported by other means (ie. camera). On iTunes you can show the program where all files are located however this does not appear to work with iPhoto.

Xbox Live Gamertag:tr00p3rls

WoW Account (Demon Soul-Horde): Cabøøse
QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

If you have a newer Mac with a dual-layer DVD burner you can burn up to (I believe) 8GB to a single DL disc.

If you don't have one, then you can just divide up the entire iPhoto folder in your home folder to fit on two sep discs. But keep this in mind:

iPhoto stores your ORIGINALS and any REVISIONS you've made such as cropping, sizing, enhancements, rotations, etc. If you've done a lot of that stuff to your images, then you have two copies in the iPhoto folder. You will notice that inside your iPhoto Library folder that you have "Originals" and "Modified" folders.

The most important thing to remember when burning a backup of your library is to backup the files in the iPhoto Library folder that aren't images as well. Those files contain the info for your albums, dates, comments, etc.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks
Ginger Pilot

Ginger Pilot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB

CreativeGuy,

Thanks, I've just checked my DVD information, I never knew my DVD burner was dual-layer! I can now burn the folder as one!

Cheers

GP
QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

Those dual layer DVD blanks are a little more expensive than regular DVDs, but it's worth it, IMO.

FWIW, I think it's a good idea to burn two copies of each backup DVD and keep one of those copies at a family member's home, safe deposit box, etc... just in case of fire at your place.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

it won't be long and you will be buying an external drive or 2. I have over 10,000 photos. when added to itunes and my other "stuff" my user directory is over 96GIG. I am currently in process of digitizing 3000 slides I took in my early days of photography. they are 'bout 4meg each.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto library & Original files... | Transfer images from iphoto to sd card? »