New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Serif vs Sans Serif

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JacobRogers

JacobRogers is on a distinguished road

What kind of font do you usually use for documents and stuff? I'm a Serif kid of guy because I got so used to using Times New Roman in school. This month I'm really excited by the Liberation fonts Red Hat released earlier this month.

So what do you go for?

And for those of you who don't know Serif fonts have little lines on them like this:

This is Times New Roman which is a serif font.

This is Arial one of the more popular sans serif fonts.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Always use Times New Roman.

I even have teachers that have you submit work through e-mail, so they can change all the fonts to Times New Roman 12, and set the formatting the way they require

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

As a rule, sans serif is easier to read when in small type.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

Haha,

Do you live in ohio? My buddy was in a debate over this a day or two ago in a GFX class.

QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntalin View Post
As a rule, sans serif is easier to read when in small type.
I like Times New Roman presonally. Look very professional. As Talin says, in smaller fonts the serifs can look like they join together and as a result can be harder to read.
Apple seems to have some font that I haven't seen before and quite like.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

I'm a Sans guy myself. Sans Serif, Sans Pants, Sans Morals.... :p
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

I'm very traditional and prefer serif fonts at around 11pt or 12pt for typeset documents, but sans serif does tend to look better on a screen. I don't allow comic sans anywhere
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

And Comic Sans (I believe a Microsoft invention) is by far and away the MOST ugly font ever devised and a sans serif. Used by millions to make their little office and shop notices look handwritten and therefore less formal. Just atrocious!
There is, I believe a "Ban Comic Sans" community out there. Ha Ha
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

when I was a student, and writing essays and all that, I had to use Times New Roman, much to my disgust. Sure, it's easy to read, but it's very boring. There are far better serif fonts out there. My typography teacher would probably have failed me if I ever used it in any design briefs we were given

When designing other documents, I'll simply go with a font that suits, or if the company has some kind of style guide, I'll have to stick to that. Nowadays, I don't have to use Times for anything huzzah!

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
Always use Times New Roman.
Why?
Quote:
I even have teachers that have you submit work through e-mail, so they can change all the fonts to Times New Roman 12. . . .
Lordy.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Three fonts that should never be used anywhere: Times New Roman, Arial and Comic Sans. Even Verdana looks naff in print.

Gill Sans, Helvetica Neue, DIN, Rotis, Myriad - they're nice fonts. Even Garamond and Caslon are far nicer than Times if you like your serifs.

Have a look at http://bancomicsans.com/home.html by the way :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

I like Baskerville Old Face, a nice classic looking Serif font.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Why?Lordy.
Almost all colleges and government institutions require Times New Roman for anything submitted. I know as of 2004 every diplomatic paper from the US State Department is issued in Times New Roman 14

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

To reiterate;

Why? Lordy.

:-)
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

I guess it's to make reading everything easy. If they've got loads to read, they probably don't want to deal with "unique" and "interesting" fonts and layouts. Kind of like when hand written essays had to start being typed, to make it easier on the profs...Kinda makes sense.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« viewing RAW files | saving fonts in photoshop »