New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Scanning old pictures and taking old VHS movies and putting them on the computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

theitalianone03

theitalianone03 is on a distinguished road

Ok guys, Its about time that I do this huge project for my parents. They basically want all of our old pictures scanned, and all old camcorder and VHS home movies put on the computer and put on DVD's.

My question is this, what is the best way of going about this. I have a scanner, what would be the appropriate scan settings, dpi etc? They will be viewed on the computer and on slide show DVD's on a TV for public viewing.

As for the video. Is there like a little capture card that can just have the VCR plug into a USB adapter, and have the usb go into my computer? IF anyone has done this before can you please give me some insight on the most productive way you did this?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Scanning black and white photos in color mode creates better photos than just scanning gray scale.
Scanning them in color mode gives them a sepia tone.
I use 200dpi scan for the Web.
To view on the computer, a 800x600 pixels image would do fine.
Rest of your questions would be answered soon by others, I am sure.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
theitalianone03

theitalianone03 is on a distinguished road

I mean they are color photos. I'm only 22. I Just mean pics from when my parents got married and ones from me and siblings growing up.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theitalianone03 View Post
I mean they are color photos. I'm only 22. I Just mean pics from when my parents got married and ones from me and siblings growing up.
Oooops! Sorry! I think I gave away my age accidentally.
These would apply to color photos:
I use 200dpi scan for the Web.
To view on the computer, a 800x600 pixels image would do fine.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...order_and.html That will work either way, either direct to dvd, or direct to computer via firewire.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop - Academic vs. retail, difference? | What Digital Camera to get? »