New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

clipping paths from illustrator

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Robyzf1

Robyzf1 is on a distinguished road

There is probably a really simple answer to this but....

I'm creating (simple) Logos in Illustrator using text and basic drawings. I want to be able to save these with a clipping path applied that programs like in design and photoshop will see. I use pathfinder to crate a path around the text but when I save or export as tif, eps or jpeg there is no embedded/ clipping path on the document.

Please help

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Have you tried saving the text as an .eps file? It opens in Photoshop with a transparent background.

If that doesn't work, try using text that has no pathfinder action performed on it, it should work fine.

Unless you want the logo to be in parts and bits? I'm not really sure what you want to do.
QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

I'm not sure why you would use the Pathfinder tool to create a path around the text, because that's not really what that tool is for. But that's neither here nor there.

The reason you don't have a "clipping path" when you EXPORT as an eps, tif or jpg is because those are raster formats that Illustrator has little support for in that respect.

Just do a normal Save As and select .eps or .ai and the transparent backgrounds will be there.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeGuy View Post
I'm not sure why you would use the Pathfinder tool to create a path around the text, because that's not really what that tool is for.
I was wondering that too. There's no need for that, as since there's nothing around the text, no clipping path is needed. And as you said, it's not the purpose of the tool to begin with. Basically, it's clipping nothing since there's nothing to be clipped. Clipping paths are only really used to clip objects within illustrator.

Generally, I use .ai files, because they're easier to manage, and give better previews and better clipping options when placing in Indesign. I believe eps files will print faster though, but will likely give a larger file size, so it's up to you there.

Also, there's no real reason why you can't copy and paste into photoshop. There's no need to export files, and saves time if you decide you want to edit the vector file, since you can copy and paste again, rather than save again and import. This gives pretty good results, and will only copy paths you select, so no white backgrounds as the paths are going straight from vector to pixel. I'd only recommend this for smaller projects though - as it's much better to have a saved .ai file you can always go back to for backup.

QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Just drag your path from AI into Ps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What Digital Camera to get? | Photoshop CS3 question »