New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Is there a "How to" DVD for all the mac programs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rachelsono

rachelsono is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I just bought my Mac a few months ago, and though I can do all the basics, like surf the web, download songs, burn a CD ect. I really want to know about the other programs like the iDVD, iMovie. I'd really like to make professional slideshows/movies with wedding pictures and stuff like that. I know you can do the one on one classes at the Apple store but it's too far away from my house. Does anyone know if there is some kind of tutuorial DVD that I can watch someone navigate through those programs and really show you how to use them to their full potiential. I just can't grasp everything from reading manuals. Thanks, Rachel
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

This could be a start for getting used to OS X
http://www.atomiclearning.com/osx_tiger_orientation
Some nice vids there. They're kinda slow, but could prove useful.

You could probably search for some specific app tutorials, or just check the Help section in each app. I think that once your somewhat familiar with one, all the others will make more sense, as most Apple applications are structured in similar ways in terms of terminology, navigation and most tasks and operations. For example, adding songs to a playlist in iTunes, and adding photos to an album in iPhoto, may be done exactly the same way. Things such as 'drag and drop' speed up almost all tasks, and allow you to solve problems with logic.

My point is, the familiar you become with OS X, the more familiar you'll become with other apps, as the logic of one app can be applied to another. So by discovering something in one app, you'll open more possibilities in another. You should find that problem solving becomes much easier, as a kind of 'mac instinct' takes over.

Anyway, here's a couple more links I came up with.
http://www.thinkmac.net/visualguides

This site also appears to have some nice tips
http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/archive.html

Best of luck!

QUOTE Thanks
rachelsono

rachelsono is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

The atomiclearning website was very helpful! Thank you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« not all fonts shown in photoshop | iphoto bug »