New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Create an Animated Gif in CS3.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

Hi all,

Ever since the demise of imageready which was part of CS2, I have wondered how to create animated Gif images using CS3 Photoshop. I have figured it out and below is a basic tutorial, enjoy -

First step is to load up all the seperate images in your animation as layers, in order, with the first image in the animation at the bottom.

Next, hold down the Alt key and click on the "EyeCon" of the first image or layer at the bottom, this will show just that layer and this is our first frame of the sequence. Now go up to "Window" in the menu bar and open the "Animation" window, after the window has opened you should see your first layer you have visible loaded as the first frame. For my animation I wanted to include a white background, so throughout the sequence I will have the white background always selected, as well as another layer as I build the animation.

Above you can see the animation window open, and the first frame of the sequence has loaded using the layers that were selected. Next we want to set the time for each frame, and this is done by clicking at the bottom of frame 1 in the animation window, this will pop up a small menu showing time in seconds, choose one or you can enter the time for the frame manually by selecting "Other". Now go to the top right of the animation window and click on the little arrow, which activates the pop up window, and select "New Frame. Next step is to head back to the layers palette and turn off the layer we just used for frame 1, by clicking on the "EyeCon" then turn on the next layer in the sequence for frame 2 by clicking on its "EyeCon". This will put the contents of the second layer in the sequence into frame 2.

The time for this frame will be copied over from the first frame, but it can be changed individually if you like. From here you repeat the above procedure until you have a frame for each of the layers in your sequence, you can hit the "Play" button at anytime to test out the animation. Below is my animation sequence complete with all frames created.

Once you are happy with the order and time settings of the frames, hit SHFT+ALT+CMD+S to open Save for Web, and it should have automatically changed the file type to Gif, ready to be saved.

Thats about it, nice and simple, and without the use of Imageready, hope I have made it clear enough to understand.

QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

Very nice. Although it seems like an arduous process.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

Is there an easier way?
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Great thread, thanks. I love step-by-step documentation. It helps a lot.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Great tutorial! Thanks for this!
QUOTE Thanks
Gene

Gene is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotdess View Post
Very nice. Although it seems like an arduous process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
Is there an easier way?
At the part where you add a new frame, instead of selecting "New Frame" select "Make Frames From Layers."
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
At the part where you add a new frame, instead of selecting "New Frame" select "Make Frames From Layers."

Thanks, I have since noticed this feature and use it for animations where you only require one frame per layer, and you have the layers set in order. However, some of the larger animated banners I create have many layers of varying opacity, which get used many times throughout the sequence. To deal with this I simply created a quick action that creates a new frame simply by pressing f8, saves a bit of time fiddling with the menu to access "New Frame", especially when you have over 60 frames in an animation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning Inside Sony DSC-P200? | Couples Engagement Photos »