New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

I *HATE* Iphoto, i have thousands of pics . Any Reccs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

I hate navigating thru iphoto its such a pain.

i understand that assigning keywords to each pic makes it easier to search for but when u have like thousands of pics
its really hard and time consuming to do that!

I am really quite comfortable with Window's "my pictures" folder where you can arrange your pics in a folder and each folder has like a thumbnail preview of whats inside.

once you click on the folder you can see thumbnail previews of each pic..

WHY cant i do this on my mac?? i know i can arrange my pics in folders but when i click on the folder it shows up as a generic "jpg" icon along with the picture name it doesnt show an actual preview of the pic

i have to manually click on each pic to see what it is.

basciallly my two questions

1.)

is there anyway to see the pics in ur generic folders ALL at once as little previews (as u could in windows) or do i have to click on them one at a time to view?

2.) is there anything better than iphoto that takes less time to organize? i hate the user interface.. i mean i know i can organize my pics on the left in different subfolders but the MAIN screen in the middle is a jumbled mess and its quite distracting..
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i'm in the same boat - i actually removed iPhoto.

i just use the pictures folder and have created many subfolders to suit my needs.

i've also found a couple programs to be invaluable.

Xee - nice, easy to use picture viewer, will remind many switchers of the windows picture and fax viewer.

renamer4mac - great mass file renamer program. easier to use than automator for renaming multiple files.

also in answer to your question #1:
these are from the Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

Q: How do I change the size of icons, size of icon text, background color/image of my windows, and/or the way files arrange themselves in my windows?
A:
When in icon view(the first view button), right click in the folder and select "Show View Options". Here you can select "Keep Arranged By" and select how to arrange your files and even set all folders to do the same. You also have other options here to help suit your preferences.
When in list view (the second view button), to get your folders and files to organize themselves by name, type, date modified, etc, click the corresponding bar at the top of the finder window.
When in column view (the third view button), folders and files seem to automatically sort by type then by name.

Q: Is there a "thumbnail" view in finder?
A: When in icon view, right click inside the window and choose "Show View Options". Click the box marked "Show icon preview". Remember to choose whether you want it to be for this window only or for all windows.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
i'm in the same boat - i actually removed iPhoto.

i just use the pictures folder and have created many subfolders to suit my needs.

i've also found a couple programs to be invaluable.

Xee - nice, easy to use picture viewer, will remind many switchers of the windows picture and fax viewer.

renamer4mac - great mass file renamer program. easier to use than automator for renaming multiple files.

also in answer to your question #1:
these are from the Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

Q: How do I change the size of icons, size of icon text, background color/image of my windows, and/or the way files arrange themselves in my windows?
A:
When in icon view(the first view button), right click in the folder and select "Show View Options". Here you can select "Keep Arranged By" and select how to arrange your files and even set all folders to do the same. You also have other options here to help suit your preferences.
When in list view (the second view button), to get your folders and files to organize themselves by name, type, date modified, etc, click the corresponding bar at the top of the finder window.
When in column view (the third view button), folders and files seem to automatically sort by type then by name.

Q: Is there a "thumbnail" view in finder?
A: When in icon view, right click inside the window and choose "Show View Options". Click the box marked "Show icon preview". Remember to choose whether you want it to be for this window only or for all windows.

THANKS for ur reply!!

i have a few more questions

1.) when u say u just use the "pictures folder" is this a folder u created yourself and named the picture folder right?

2.) that tip u gave about being able to view icons as previews is amazing! thnaks so much for that.
on windows, when u clikced on a folder u could see little preview icons ON the actual subfolder as well...is thre any way to do that on the mac?

3.)what is the advantage of xee? since u can already view pictures by clicking on them what would the advantage of having this picture viewer be? ditto with the mass renamer..in what situation would u need to mass rename files?
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

oh one more thing...do u know if the icon preview mode can also be used when looking at folders with videos???

i know on windows u could see like a screenshot of the video in videos folder...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

not sure, i usually use list view. give it a shot, see if it works, can't harm anything!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
not sure, i usually use list view. give it a shot, see if it works, can't harm anything!
1.) when u say u just use the "pictures folder" is this a folder u created yourself and named the picture folder right?

2.) that tip u gave about being able to view icons as previews is amazing! thnaks so much for that.
on windows, when u clikced on a folder u could see little preview icons ON the actual subfolder as well...is thre any way to do that on the mac?

3.)what is the advantage of xee? since u can already view pictures by clicking on them what would the advantage of having this picture viewer be? ditto with the mass renamer..in what situation would u need to mass rename files?

just in case u didnt se eit
QUOTE Thanks
eric

1) in your home folder, there are folders called library, applications, documents, pictures (or maybe photos or images, but i think it's pictures). i used this folder. by default this folder should be on the left hand sie of finder.

2) np.
i don't know about that. i don't find it super useful on windows either though, since i'm typically in detail view

3) Xee allows easy movement back and forth within a folder in the way the standard windows picture viewer does (and does so with hotkeys (command <- and -> or just < and >). it's just a very quick and easy app to use.

re: renamer4mac, OS X will not mass rename files as windows would (see if you can do it yourself in finder). automator does have an action for this, but it tends not to keep your original file order, and can be trickier to use for complex renaming than renamer4mac.

btw, i'm at work on a windows machine right now, so there are a few things i can't check first hand right now.

QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

HP Photosmart Studio.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

iPhoto needs one simple addition - apply keywords as photos are imported to the libary. That would make it much easier to catalog a series of folders (I don't import photos into iPhoto as I needs them for other things). It's a pain to add a load of photos, then go through and select them all from within the library, then apply keywords. And you need to be able to add keywords somewhere easier to get at than Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

You might wish to check out QPict too (http://www.qpict.net). I use it and find it to be better than iPhoto by a long way.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

I am so glad it is not only me! I do not know why people rave about iphoto at all - it is very limited in editing functionality, and is useless at storing/filing work - one of the worst photo apps I have used. Another gripe is that it automatically saves when you edit a photo - you have to undo what you have done so that your original is not written over - that is terrible IMHO.

Apple certainly need to develop it more!

I just create a folder in my documents (just as I did in Windows, except with Windows it is already created), and then file and store my photographs there - much easier!

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

all of my iphoto stuff is set up into folders within the application...if i go out and take 30 pics of something i organize it into a new folder with the date attached to it etc....therefore when i want to see a picture i just go to that folder where i know it is....i dont see how the iphoto orgainzation is so difficult...

but recently i did switch to aperture which i have set up the same exact way
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I use iPhoto for organizing my pictures, but for viewing a massive quantity - or just to page through pictures quickly, I like CocoViewX, which reminds me of ACDSee on Windows. MacHeadCase turned me on to this little gem, which is freeware and very easy to use (and quick too).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Graphic Converter...worth every penny of the $30.

QUOTE Thanks
alesimons

alesimons is on a distinguished road

I'm also disappointed with iphoto... is useless and i'm also looking for something better... I have tried some of what you guys recommended here but I cant find anything suitable yet... I'm thinking in putting money together and buying Aperture... what about that program?

Any comment?

A.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop 7 on OS X | Playing with pics on my Mac: Simple Questions. Pls help! :) »