New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Good photo printing program?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
comptechjunkie

 
comptechjunkie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2006
Posts: 26
comptechjunkie is on a distinguished road

comptechjunkie is offline
I did some searching and I didnt really find what I was looking for.

Ok so heres the deal.

I have canon photo printer and I am looking for a program that will help me out with printing. I use photoshop and lightroom, but the problem is that I cant really figure out photoshop and Lightroom does not give me the option of printing on photo paper so they turn out pretty low quality. The only program that gives me that option is iphoto and I am trying to stay away from that. Are there any programs that y'all use that really give you good results for printing? Im trying to get some freeware so I dont have to pay.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

 
PunkRockTuba's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 27, 2005
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 975
PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

PunkRockTuba is offline
You could try printing from preview, I do that a lot when I need to print things quick. I think there is an advanced tab in the print window so you should be able to change the paper type, quality, and/or print settings in that.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

 
PapaNoHair's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,180
PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

PapaNoHair is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptechjunkie View Post
I did some searching and I didnt really find what I was looking for.

Ok so heres the deal.

I have canon photo printer and I am looking for a program that will help me out with printing. I use photoshop and lightroom, but the problem is that I cant really figure out photoshop and Lightroom does not give me the option of printing on photo paper so they turn out pretty low quality. The only program that gives me that option is iphoto and I am trying to stay away from that. Are there any programs that y'all use that really give you good results for printing? Im trying to get some freeware so I dont have to pay.
You might try HP Photosmart Studio. It is my understanding you don't have to have an HP printer to use their program. I use it in place of iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Doesn't the Printer Setup Utility dialogue box give you access to your Canon printer model settings? I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 and an HP LaserJet 1300 and I can tweak the print settings for each printer I use if I want to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Print_setting.jpg (23.5 KB, 36 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

 
mac57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 29, 2006
Location: St. Somewhere
Posts: 4,560
mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

mac57 is offline
Photoshop is the BEST photo printing program I have ever used, bar none. With its own built in color management system, it delivers truer results than anything I have used before.

To figure out how to use this to best advantage, I would recommend one of Scott Kelby's excellent "The Photoshop CSx Book for Digital Photographers". There are variants of this book for CS, CS2, Elements 2, Elements 3, Elements 4 and I even saw one for Elements 5 last night at the book store.

These books are all basically "recipes" for how to do all sorts of things well in Photoshop. There is an excellent section in at least the CS and CS2 books, which I have, on how to print to devastatingly good effect. The books aren't cheap (around $35) but well worth it... particularly if you already have Photoshop, which you do.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

 
dtownley1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2006
Posts: 690
dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

dtownley1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptechjunkie View Post
I did some searching and I didnt really find what I was looking for.

Ok so heres the deal.

I have canon photo printer and I am looking for a program that will help me out with printing. I use photoshop and lightroom, but the problem is that I cant really figure out photoshop and Lightroom does not give me the option of printing on photo paper so they turn out pretty low quality. The only program that gives me that option is iphoto and I am trying to stay away from that. Are there any programs that y'all use that really give you good results for printing? Im trying to get some freeware so I dont have to pay.
I have a Canon printer too (Pixma) - and it came with a brilliant piece of software, cleverly named Easy Photoprint. It works the same way those DIY stands in shopping centres work. You select a directory, a preview of the photos comes up, and you click each one for a number of copies. Retouching can be done in this app too, but I've found the colours to be pretty much spot on. It has a bundle of options for paper types and sizes, and took me no time at all to get used to. The only thing that isn't so straight forward, was that the default paper tray wasn't the proper one, so I had to change that.

If you got any install CDs, check on those for similar software, otherwise the Canon site may have it available.

QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

 
rocketman766's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 21, 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 140
rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

rocketman766 is offline
I also use Photoshop and Lightroom to print, but use a Kodak ESP-5 and it automatically selects photo paper when printing from these programs.

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

 
MYmacROX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2009
Posts: 3,599
MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

MYmacROX is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba View Post
You could try printing from preview, I do that a lot when I need to print things quick. I think there is an advanced tab in the print window so you should be able to change the paper type, quality, and/or print settings in that.
+1 for Preview. I have a Canon Pixma 620 and I use Preview to print photos because of the wide range of options you get in the printing preferences. Photos (color and B&W) look amazing! We have several hanging around our house.

I've never installed or used the Easy Photoprint software. Might give it a try just to have something to compare.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
RauschIt

 
RauschIt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 08, 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 35
RauschIt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2011 - iPhone 5

RauschIt is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
I have a Canon printer too (Pixma) - and it came with a brilliant piece of software, cleverly named Easy Photoprint. It works the same way those DIY stands in shopping centres work. You select a directory, a preview of the photos comes up, and you click each one for a number of copies. Retouching can be done in this app too, but I've found the colours to be pretty much spot on. It has a bundle of options for paper types and sizes, and took me no time at all to get used to. The only thing that isn't so straight forward, was that the default paper tray wasn't the proper one, so I had to change that.

If you got any install CDs, check on those for similar software, otherwise the Canon site may have it available.
I wish this were still true, but the program is no longer supported by Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Gimp and OS LION | A 9" x 6" scan balloons into huge sizes »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Printing Problems luigihip Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography 3 10-12-2006 12:04 PM
HP PSC 1410 printing funny colors jacksonworld Other Hardware and Peripherals 2 07-14-2006 12:34 PM
Problem installing a program playm0de Switcher Hangout 2 06-04-2006 03:15 PM
Photo Booth photos are corrupting my iPod!!! jbsengineer iPod Hardware and Accessories 0 11-06-2005 11:11 AM
PSPSync Impressions mcsenerd OS X - Apps and Games 9 03-29-2005 09:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?