Specs:
    Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
    Question Mac newbie with a slideshow question
    OK, I just got a mac and have a question about slideshows. In windows I can open a folder full of images already put in the order that I want them viewed in and just hit slideshow and the images come up in the order I want them to. I tried this with my Mac and it doesn't work. I can open the folder, command-a to select them all, but then when I hit slideshow, they don't stay in the order I had put them in. It seems that the Mac just puts the images in whatever order it wants and then shows them. Can I not select the order that the photos are shown in w/ the Mac? I have tried putting the images in alphabetical order, numerical order, but to no avail. I am doing it this way to show my images to people full screen, but the order I want them shown in is important. I do not want to use iPhoto as I am not looking for a fancy music laced, "Look What I Did" kind of slideshow.

Can someone help me? I know there has to be a way, but I can't find it. Thanks!

MacHeadCase
    Welcome to Mac-Forums, breadfan35! Enjoy your stay!

Set your image folder in List view, do Command (or Apple key) + A to select all, then do a right-click (or Control-click if you don't have a multi-button mouse) and in the contextual menu that appears, if you are using Tiger, there should be a Slideshow item listed there.

Select it and you will see your images full screen.

As for the order in which they appear... Ok. This is crazy. The Arrange by view in Finder is greyed out? I tried changing my window views for Icons, List or Columns but it still remains greyed out!

Anyone else has this?

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
    Are you doing this in finder? If so it plays them in the order they sit in finder, at least it has always worked that way for me...however they are sorted in finder is how they are lined up and play.
    http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before

Specs:
    PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
    I alway arrange the files with them in a list view and clicking on whatever I want them sorted by. I had never noticed the "sort by" being greyed out your mentioning..that is odd
    http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before

MacHeadCase
    In Finder, we used to be able to choose the order either by kind, by date, by label, etc. What happened? It's greyed out now?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin_aa View Post
    Are you doing this in finder? If so it plays them in the order they sit in finder, at least it has always worked that way for me...however they are sorted in finder is how they are lined up and play.
    Yes I am doing it through Finder. I had them arranged in the order I wanted, hit slideshow and it showed them in a random order. I put them in alphabetical and then tried numerical order by name and still got a random order in the slideshow. (one odd thing, the random order for each naming style produced a different random order in the slideshow, despite the images themselves being physically arranged in the same order both times) I don't know what else to do really. I'm still messing with it, but am stumped so far.

MacHeadCase
    Ahh! Ok. I had clicked on the Arrange by option for the desktop. So it blocks it from the menubar drop-down list.

As for a regular folder, if you're in list view, you can click on the top of the window to rearrange the order. See the attachment below...

Sorry for the confusion!

*Blush*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
    Ahh! Ok. I had clicked on the Arrange by option for the desktop. So it blocks it from the menubar drop-down list.

As for a regular folder, if you're in list view, you can click on the top of the window to rearrange the order. See the attachment below...

Sorry for the confusion!

*Blush*
    Well I figured out that if I put the images in column and then select slideshow, they will be in the order I want.

Thanks MacHeadCase for the kind welcome.

Thread Information