New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Colorazation In Photoshop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gilbertmoose

How do you make everything black and white except for One item?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

There are several ways to do it, actually. One way is to lasso the area you wish to keep colored, then remove the saturation from the rest of the photo until it is grayscaled.

Then you end up with something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shamrock.jpg (354.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P3060066.JPG (211.7 KB, 5 views)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
gilbertmoose

Sorry, Im a noob at photoshop, but how do you remove the saturation?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Go to:

Images -> Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (322.0 KB, 6 views)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

You can also go to Layer-->New adjustment layer--> hue/saturation. Then remove the saturation and use the eraser tool to bring the color back where you want.

QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

If the object you wish to leave colored is a different color than other objects in the image, after you open the hue/sat layer simply drop everything but that colors saturation.

I think the best way however is to create a seperate layer via copy and turn it into black and white with your preferred method and then erase the area you want to be colored. What you are doing there is erasing the top layer only allowing the original colored layer below it to show through.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

I used the layer and eraser way to make the photo in this card:

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Here's how I do it 50% of the time, it seems like the long way 'round, but I find it more accurate and easier:

1. Roughly marquee around the area I want colored.
2. Copy and Paste Into a new layer.
3. Then, do Select > Color Range and select the color of the object.
4. Select Inverse.
5. Save Selection.
6. Merge layers down.
7. Load Selection.
8. Image > Hue & Saturation, turn the Master saturation all the way down.

I use this method about 25% of the time:

1. In CS2, enter quick mask mode.
2. Select an adequate brush size with the hardness/opacity turned all the way up.
3. Paint the object you want to keep colored with the brush.
4. Exit quick mask mode.
5. Desaturate.

Then this method occasionally:

1. Duplicate Layer.
2. Filter > Extract.
3. With a small brush size, paint around the edge of the colored object.
4. Fill with Paint bucket tool and Extract.
5. Select original layer and desaturate.

Only when those don't work will I use the lasso tool/desature inverse method.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

Came out good. I love that trick. Makes some really cool pictures.

QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

It looks like you've figured it out, but here's how I do it in Photoshop Elements:

1. create a duplicate layer of the color picture. I name it "front" just so I don't confused. The original is the "background" by default.
2. Remove the color from the "front" layer. Do this with Enhance->color->remove color (I think that's right...I'm on a PC at work, so I can't double check).
3. Use the magnetic lasso and select the part of the image you want to be in color and hit "delete" to remove that part from the black & white "front." It exposes the color in the "background."

You can actually do the above in the order 1, 3, 2...but you can't tell if you deleted the right section until you remove the color from teh "front" in the last step.

I've only had the program for 2 days and this is what I figured out. It's also the free 30 day trial I got from download.com. The ways mentioned above might be easier.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bitmap to Vector | printing services? »