New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Best free image editing software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogueace

rogueace is on a distinguished road

Well, I just recently bought a Mac, and i would like to use a program to edit my images. I have photoshop on my peecee, and would like something for my mac, but don't want to pay for anything since im waiitng for the universal photoshop software to come out. in the mean time, i would like to mess around with images on my mac, so whats the best mac image editing software thats free and pretty packed with features, not just simple crop and redeye tools?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

gimp
http://www.gimp.org/

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Adobe Lightroom Beta4 if you shoot RAW.

Have not used GIMP or Picassa however both seem well received by those who do.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

GIMP is it. GIMP is alone in its class. It is rather analagous to Photoshop Elements, only it is completely free. As I have been pleased to learn, you can even buy HOWTO books on GIMP, just like you can on Photoshop, now. Get GIMP and enjoy.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

There is also Gimpshop, it's supposed to be similar to photoshop. http://www.gimpshop.net/

QUOTE Thanks
zarly

zarly is on a distinguished road

I have also been looking for something like picassa, and anything called GIMP has got to be software made for folks like me.

Zarly.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Here is a list of the image editing software I am aware of for the Mac. It may not be a complete list, but it should help:

Photoshop Elements (not free of course!)
Photoshop CS2 ( " )

GIMP (www.gimp.org)
Seashore (http://seashore.sourceforge.net)
ChocoFlop (http://www.chocoflop.com)

GraphicConverter (http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/c...lkPTE5Mw_.html)
ImageWell (http://xtralean.com/IWOverview.html)

LiveQuartz (http://www.rhapsoft.com)

...and of course...

iPhoto (which has quite a nice set of editing tools)

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rollershoer4MAC

rollershoer4MAC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|

I'd Go with gimp. Its pretty awesome, if I do say so myself....and I do.

iBook G3, 800 MHz, Combo Drive, 256MB Ram, 30GB, Airport Card...For Sale! Here.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I like the look of Gimp, but what's this X11 thing? Sounds like an experimental jet...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Long story: X Window System.

Short story: What is X11?.

Quote:
But what is X11 exactly? X11 is a windowing system for UNIX, and very rudimentary at that. The idea is that a unix application can communicate to the window “server” and say “draw a window” or “draw a line” or very basic commands like that. And then, X11 draws whatever it’s told. In order to make X11 have some sense, a program called a “window manager” keeps tabs on all the various windows that have been drawn.
So it's a GUI that runs on Unix flavoured OSes such as Mac OS X.

Just so you know, if you intend on installing it, use the version that came with your Mac's CD or DVD set. Apple in a lot of cases has an older version on its website.
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Seashore. Cocoa port of the GIMP.
Chocoflop. Don't let the goofy name fool you...it supports CoreImage and is frequently updated by the developer. It's turning out to be a very capable program.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

gIMP!!!!

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do you like my Ad? | Photo of the week (April 7-13) »