New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

CAD+Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dominion

Dominion is on a distinguished road

I'm currently an engineering student with focus on drafting and design and will be starting core classes soon and was thinking about getting a Mac Pro for it. I already own a couple other macs so it's not really a PC vs. Mac thing, it's more of a, are there programs around that support what I'll be doing?

As it's looking it's MUCH more cost effective to buy a MacPro than to build it myself, as it costs around 3k to build and 2.5kish from apple. Plus if I build it I don't get OSX. BUT if I do get the Mac Pro, what are my options for software? I'm not sure what all my classes use but I do know for some of them we are given free software to install on home computers. I'm fairly certain it's all autodesk software, which of course is windows based.

Kinda a second part to my question is should a mac with boot camp for my windows software perform just as well if I built the same system with windows on it? I haven't gotten a chance to use or see bootcamp yet, and considering I need a beefy system to do what I will need it to, it would be important to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I don't see why the CAD programs would work any worse on your Mac running bootcamp, so i think it would be fine. That being said, I have been doing Mechanical design for the past 11 years and the fact of the matter is, the main CAD software companies just do not make their programs for the MAC os (Autodesk/Solid Works/Unigraphics etc.)
QUOTE Thanks
Dominion

Dominion is on a distinguished road

Alright, well looks like I'll be getting the Mac Pro then

It's just the cheapest solution around for as powerful as it is
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Freehand Problems | iPhoto, what happens? »