New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photoshop Guru(s), I need your help please.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Maul

Maul is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

I took photo with my camera without using RAW format. When I uploaded the photo to my mac, it is in jpeg format. I open the jpeg file in photoshop, now I want to resize it. Here's the problem, the photo is 42"x27" with a res of 72. I want to resize the photo to 6"x4", but with a res of 72 makes the photo pixelated.
Is there anyway to fix this problem? plug-in?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

You shouldn't need a plug in. Open your photo, go to Image->Image Size and uncheck the "Resample Image" checkbox. Now you can manually adjust the Resolution. As you do this, you will see the image dimensions change - do this until you get the size you want. This does not actually do anything to the image itself, it just changes the resolution, which will change the size when you send it to a printer.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Maul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57
You shouldn't need a plug in. Open your photo, go to Image->Image Size and uncheck the "Resample Image" checkbox. Now you can manually adjust the Resolution. As you do this, you will see the image dimensions change - do this until you get the size you want. This does not actually do anything to the image itself, it just changes the resolution, which will change the size when you send it to a printer.

This worked out perfectly.
Many Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maul
I took photo with my camera without using RAW format. When I uploaded the photo to my mac, it is in jpeg format. I open the jpeg file in photoshop, now I want to resize it. Here's the problem, the photo is 42"x27" with a res of 72. I want to resize the photo to 6"x4", but with a res of 72 makes the photo pixelated.
Is there anyway to fix this problem? plug-in?
If you took an image in RAW format, it should be on your computer as a RAW image and not as a JPEG unless you were taking shots in RAW+JPEG. You may want to check your settings.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I am guessing Maul was using Raw+JPEG and the Mac, only recognizing the JPEG, uploaded that.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

I must not understand how he is downloading them. I do use a nikon software to download the images using a card reader, however it downloads all of the files. If I do go another route I simply use the card reader and a finder window to move the files or copy them to a folder.

QUOTE Thanks
Maul

I didn't actually download the files, I used a card reader and transfered the files in the finder from card to the mac. But the deal was I had the camera settings to a high res and not RAW, which created the files into jpeg. I use a canon rebel xt if that explains it.

QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maul
I didn't actually download the files, I used a card reader and transfered the files in the finder from card to the mac. But the deal was I had the camera settings to a high res and not RAW, which created the files into jpeg. I use a canon rebel xt if that explains it.
I don't know why people are suggesting solutions for RAW format, since you said you didn't use RAW.

Anyway, what mac57 said is right. Familiarise yourself with that window, as it will be one of your greatest friends in photoshop. If I'm ever printing photos, first thing I do is set the resolution to 300ppi (without altering pixel dimensions) to make sure everything is the correct res and correct size. I always save them as copies too so I have the original intact.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Because I misread the original post

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photoshop at its best | photoshop advice needed (image batch) »