New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Why are the pictures I transfer from my camera to my Mac bad quality?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pomparenekl

I have this machine for few years now... Always had a problem transferring pictures from a digital camera to it. I tried on other MAC and did not have any problem.

I actually can transfer the pictures BUT their quality is very dubious. The same transfer on an other machine gives a good result!

Would anyone help me... I have a Power Mac G5 (PowerMac 7,2)

Cheers!!!

Sabine
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I had this problem when I first tried bringing photos onto my mac. Then I realized what was up. The issue I had was with both displayed image size AND quality. You may be having this too.

If you are looking at the images you are bringing onto your Mac via Preview (the default if you just double click an image file in Finder), you may note that they look pretty poor. This is because Preview defaults to paying attention to the DPI setting of the images and attempts to scale them to what it perceives to be their correct phyical size for your screen.

If you go into Preview's preferences and disable this option, it will display the imported image pixel for pixel as you wish, and you suddenly have your quality back again. Unfortunately, I can't give a step-by-step recipe for this as I am out of town on a business trip and not near my Mac. However, I recall that it was an easy to find option in the Preview preferences.

Could this be your issue?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Pomparenekl

Nope, does not work, but thanks a lot for your help!

It is difficult to explain what I mean by bad quality. The picture can for example be "cut and past" incorrectly: some of the right side of the picture appears on the left, the colours can be wrong as well... A bit like having bad reception with cable TV... I've attached a file...

It is a bit frustrating, I can plug my camera in he other MACs around... and the transfered pictures look great!

I hope you'll be able to help me a bit more!!!

Cheers

Sabine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0029.JPG (643.9 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

If you transfer the same picture onto your two macs, they look different? That sounds really weird.

Try installing something like Gimp.app, which doesn't use the internal OS X image rendering libraries, and see if they look OK in that. If they do, then you've got broken rendering. If they look as bad ... well, then I'm stumped.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

was it just Preview that disaplyed them like that? Have you tried opening them in anything else? iPhoto, Gimp or even Photoshop. If it appears the same for all of them, then the problem could perhaps lie in the USB port (if it was damaged somehow?).

Try updating whatever software you can and see if that makes any difference. If worst comes to worst, you could try using the drop box on the problematic mac to get photos transferred, or burn them from another computer.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

.....Could be the USB port....are you using the camera software or iPhoto to import to your mac?

Can you get someone else to attach their camera with their own cable and import some photos so you can pinpoint things a bit more....

Have you tried connecting your camera to a PC to see the results...just for comparisons sake.
QUOTE Thanks
Pomparenekl

I tried to open the pictures with everything I had... mailed them to an other computer (mac and pc)... it always looks bad. I can use whatever camera plugged in whatever USB port I have on the bloody but sleek looking computer... I always end up with the same strangely coded pictures.

BUT if I plug my camera or any camera in an other machine (mac or PC), the pictures look great and if I transfer them to my machine (via email or USB) it looks good as well.

I had that problem from the beginning (I have this computer for 3 years now)... With all the cameras I attach to it! I also have problems with USB keys... It might still be the USB ports... But it is strange to think that all the ports are damaged...

The computer is updated daily... I do not think this is the problem...

I tried to open the pics with gimp... Same result. There is something going wrong when the pictures are transfered from the camera to the computer whatever the cable, USB port or camera used...

any other idea?
QUOTE Thanks
Pomparenekl

Ho and I forgot...

It is not the software either, I tried with iphoto, the software to a Nikon, a Canon and a Minolta camera... Nothing does the trick!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Can you try connecting another camera?

If you still experience the same deterioration with the images then it's looking like a USB problem....

Are your USB ports ver 1 or ver 2, or a mixture?
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Definitely sounds like your USB ports are stuffed, or more likely, the USB controller. This would mean that all ports hanging off it will be affected. If you can get hold of a mac compatible PCI USB controller (borrow one if possible) then you could stick it in and see if that is also affected. If not, then it's your controller and a trip to apple. Well, that or just buy your own PCI controller
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« indexing in InDesign | Aperture or Adobe? »