New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Hi all. Photography advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve zissou

long time no post
im crazed about the new leaopard(sp?) and new intel chips.
but thats beside the point, i am going thorugh a midlife crisis at age 15. I will soon remodel my room, adding a futon, computer desk, and 20" imac to sit regally on my desk. I am an avid football player and love photography. I have not yet owned a decent camera of my own but would like to soon. this month i hope to get the sony cybershot DSC-T9 or 10. depending on how i like it upon testing. I have used my computer tech teachers, dont quote me, cannon rebel xt? and i loved it. Any advice on a good camera around that price range. It will be used to shoot mainly random photos but also sports, football to be percise. Does the "rebel xt" take good sports shots. It took excellent basketball shots but is there a better one around that range?
thanks for the help
ill come back later with my real midlife crisis.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

i am a fan of the rebel xt personally. However, more important really is what lense you would use. I would personally like to see if sarahsboy18 posts on this thread, he has very good and helpful knowledge. Sorry I can't help mroe!
QUOTE Thanks
steve zissou

Seeeee. thats where i get hung up. I know nothing about lenses. It wasnt my camera, i havent owned a good camera with a good lense. I just took pictures and loved it. I made my school in the middle of a "ghetto" seem habitable. (only the advanced class wings were :])
and thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The Rebel/Rebel XT are fantastic cameras. With both of them you purchase the body and then purchase lenses for different situations. Lenses can cost more than the cameras themselves or less for lower quality lenses. I do a lot of sports photography http://www.rmullinsphotos.com/ and use a EOS 20D (Step up from the XT).

What is your budget you are looking for

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
steve zissou

budget? around 1000-1200 i guess. what kinds of lenses would be good for sports.
i hate sounding retarded but i guess everyone starts somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
steve zissou

Im looking at the Nikon d70 and d70s. They seem to take good pictures, any experience? Ive held one at compusa or somewhere like that and liked the feel over the rebel, and they look more professional.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

I've heard nikons aren't good outside, inside, as in studio photography they are excellent, people seem to think that canons are better action cameras.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

If you are going to be shooting primarily sports I'd probably recommend going with Canon so you can get access to that L glass... That being said Nikon is a perfectly good option... I've not heard anything about it having outdoor trouble... and if it feels better in your hands go for it. Just don't be fooled by the rebelxt's small size as far as looking more professional... They packed some great features in that little body. The key for starting out (especially for sports) is to spend just enough on the body to get the features you absolutely need... Leaving plenty of cash put it into a good solid telephoto lens.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

I have always preferred the saturation/tints you get with Canon's over Nikon. With your budget I would recommend a Rebel XT (You can pick up the kit with the basic 18-55 lens for around 750) and for a decent starters lens a Canon 70-300 with IS should be pretty good for you (its around 450 bucks or so)

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsboy18
If you are going to be shooting primarily sports I'd probably recommend going with Canon so you can get access to that L glass... That being said Nikon is a perfectly good option... I've not heard anything about it having outdoor trouble... and if it feels better in your hands go for it. Just don't be fooled by the rebelxt's small size as far as looking more professional... They packed some great features in that little body. The key for starting out (especially for sports) is to spend just enough on the body to get the features you absolutely need... Leaving plenty of cash put it into a good solid telephoto lens.
I've added a 100-400 L and a 70-200 f2.8 L (This is my baby) to my kit over the past 2 years

QUOTE Thanks
steve zissou

great advice.
:] i should have a rough estimate in the next few days
now. you say just enough features. what features are important? ive been told the nikon d70s has a faster shutter speed. I also ride bikes(bmx and freeride), some of the friends i talk and trade parts with use the nikon d70s and say it preforms great for their shots.
thanks so much
QUOTE Thanks
steve zissou

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I've added a 100-400 L and a 70-200 f2.8 L (This is my baby) to my kit over the past 2 years
....you lost me
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Nice man... I had to sell off my 70-200mm 2.8L IS... Still crying over that one... How do you like the 100-400L? I've heard complaints about the push/pull zoom mechism on that...

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve zissou
great advice.
:] i should have a rough estimate in the next few days
now. you say just enough features. what features are important? ive been told the nikon d70s has a faster shutter speed. I also ride bikes(bmx and freeride), some of the friends i talk and trade parts with use the nikon d70s and say it preforms great for their shots.
thanks so much
Shutter speeds aren't really an issue... any decent SLR is going to have a plenty fast enough shutter. The primary things to watch for in sports is your fps and buffer.

fps = frames (shots) per second... this helps you to make sure you catch that perfect moment

buffer = how many sequential shots you can take before the camera has to pause to finish writing the images to the memory chip

The buffer is heavily effected by the speed of memory card you get as well.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsboy18
Nice man... I had to sell off my 70-200mm 2.8L IS... Still crying over that one... How do you like the 100-400L? I've heard complaints about the push/pull zoom mechism on that...
It took some getting used to with the push/pull zoom but in good conditions the photos are absolutely fantastic. I would rather give up a body organ on the blackmarket then sell off my 70-200 2.8L at this point I've been so pleased with it

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What font looks like Wiesbaden Swing? | Japanese fonts »