New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

3D Design Programs Shake, Cinema 4d, ECt.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tashour11

I want to buy a program to take my designs off paper and turn them to computer generated images, I heard that Cinema 4D is very good, though My friends tell me that to go with 3Ds Max, I dont think they were aware of it at the time that they dont make the program for mac.

I also am woundering if apple's Shake can do the same thing at those programs
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Apple shake is a compositing program... totally different type of software. It is made to take elements and place them into a composition... Not to create 3d like 3dsmax or Cinema 4d... Of those type of programs I would maybe suggest Maya.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashour11
I want to buy a program to take my designs off paper and turn them to computer generated images, I heard that Cinema 4D is very good, though My friends tell me that to go with 3Ds Max, I dont think they were aware of it at the time that they dont make the program for mac.

I also am woundering if apple's Shake can do the same thing at those programs
Shake is a compositing program, different from a 3d app. C4D has a great learning curve to it. I've talked with Autodesk people about porting 3DSMax to OSX, it's not likely at least for a while - nothing's in the works. Maya's learning curve is steep however but once you understand the scripting it's VERY versatile and it's also the industry standard for movies (Max for games). C4D is a good solution if you're needing basic modeling tasks - it's come a long way, especially with R9. It's also alot more affordable.
QUOTE Thanks
tashour11

Thanks for your help, I am looking at those things in the area of product design, and i am impressed with the examples on the website so i am learning cinema 4d, I am demoing it before I go out and buy it and I am happy with the results
QUOTE Thanks
bil2k

If you don't need animation, take a look at a program called Modo made by Luxology. I've been a Maya user for over a year and now I'm learning Modo because it features a much better tool set for 3D modeling. The renderer ain't bad either, it can do stuff like global illumination, final gathering, sub surface scattering, etc. Modo is also a universal binary, the other reason why I'm trying to get away from Maya (since they don't have a UB).

Anyhow: http://www.luxology.com

They offer a completely unlocked trial with complete learning videos, full help and learning support files.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PTGui for Mac -- panorama stitcher beta | My close ups »