New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Nikon d50 or Canon Rebel?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

Im looking into getting a digital SLR but can't decide between these two. I'd like some feedback. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php...READ_ID=263241
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...D70SvsXT.shtml
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00EE2J&tag=

I found a couple through Google
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I've got a D50 and love it. Follow the links in my Sig....

QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Before this sinks into canon vs. nikon...... Go to the shop and try both. Decide which one suits you best. Both have advantages but once you bump up to the higher cameras it almost doesn't really matter which brand as long as it fits your hands well and the controls work for you. I personally went canon... But that's just what worked for me.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Agreed. I went with Nikon because it was free....

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

They BOTH are outstanding cameras. I agree with Sarahsboy, go try them out, see which ones features and controls better fit you.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

Bonzaisushi is on a distinguished road

The canon will perform better at high iso. but those 2 cameras just depend on your prefrence. i believe the xt has a few more settings than the d50, along with some very nice glass options.

:yinyang:
Mac Book Pro 17" 2 Gig Ram, 120 gig

Canon 1dMarkII // Canon 20D// Some Lenses
Bonzai Photography!Click me!
QUOTE Thanks
chouk

chouk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3

nikon all the way. I dnt like the plasticity of the rebel.
I'm using the d70s though, & i'm loving it. better grip & comfort.
& read more about lenses before making your decisions.

QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

Find the Nikon.

Its pretty obvious when 98% of professional photographers use Canons and Canon glass. that Canon clearly has the best glass..... But then again d50, d70, xt are more consumer level cameras, im sure you wont be dissapointed with either.

im just gunna throw this in here, mabye pick up a used 20d....

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Interestingly, I know a number of professional photographers who use Canon where they work, employer supplied cameras, but prefer Nikon for personal use. Go figure...

QUOTE Thanks
disciple

disciple will become famous soon enough

I am told that the Nikon D70 feels nicer and has better performance across the process, but the Canon produces the better image at the end. I guess it's a similar story with the D50. Personally I use an old Canon 10D / sometimes 20D and love them both.

Obviously if you're intending to enlarge above A4 or so then go for the Canon, it's got 2 million extra pixels of resolution.

Also bear in mind that you can get the canon with a usm lens thrown in if you shop around.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

And again any of those cameras will produce amazing results in the right hands. Alot of it comes down not to the camera, but the photographer, and the lense.

QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

Canon, overall is used more, and with that it may be easier to get help with it, depending on where you live. I personally prefer the canon, just beacuse of the features and the image quality over the nikon. Be warned, the XT is small, so if you have big hands stay away. However, the smallness is a feature that I prefer. I've brought the XT to paris and hawaii with me, and it worked spotlessly both times, and it was easy to transport. Also canon supports their prodcuts better, in my findings.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

try both of them out. i bought a canon 350d only because the camera fits into my hand better.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Yes, ergonomics is a huge aspect considering you will be holding this thing a lot...

However, if you are only considering those two cameras....get the Canon. The D50 is slow, has a pretty non-existent buffer, tiny viewfinder...never compared them side by side but the Canon Rebel (or Rebel XT) more closely meets up in features with the D70s.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with fisheye | Cant save/find altered pictures on iPhoto »