New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Nikon d50 or Canon Rebel?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

If you have ever owned a nice camera, with a good view finder shooting with a D70, D50 and possibly the lower end canons will be a disappointment.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzaisushi
really? i think the 10-22 is one of the best lenses i have used. for a crop body camera, and the 16-35, is a great lense for the 5d, and 1d. i just got sick of shooting with the d70. so i left nikon bitterly
I've heard OK things about the 10-22mm... But I wish they had an L version with a better maximum aperture. I have used the 16-35mm and it was decent but not anything amazing... Slow AF and not very sharp until f/4... Now, 14mm f/2.8L is pretty much a $1,800 waste of glass.... It is so soft that it doesn't even become usable until f/6.3 especially on a crop camera. My only hope is that I simply was using a bad copy... but most reviews I have seen on it are pretty much along the same lines.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not going to switch to Nikon over it or anything... I love Canon, their WAs at least get the job done, and I'm sticking with them. It's just that WA is not their strongsuit the way that their teles are. If I was shooting a ton of stuff where I needed WA and was starting to build my collection from scratch I'd be more drawn to Nikon than Canon.... By the same token as I love shooting sports Canon turned out to be best choice for me.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
pmadis01

pmadis01 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 15' - Ultimate Drive- 100GB hard drive

i love my orignial Rebel, the equivialent of the D70 in my opinion
My program uses the D50, 70 and Rebel, and the most common are d70's and rebels, one is not better than the other, they are equal cameras. The Rebel is a little better in low light i've found, plus i like the menus better than the nikon, but then some of my friends like the nikon menu's better so it's all personal preference if believe.

-Pete-

-------------------
-Pete-

"Not all who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
QUOTE Thanks
tarek

I recommend Canon. For more in-depth reviews, visit www.dpreview.com to make your comparisons.
QUOTE Thanks
dtownley1

dtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the roughdtownley1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmadis01
i love my orignial Rebel, the equivialent of the D70 in my opinion
My program uses the D50, 70 and Rebel, and the most common are d70's and rebels, one is not better than the other, they are equal cameras. The Rebel is a little better in low light i've found, plus i like the menus better than the nikon, but then some of my friends like the nikon menu's better so it's all personal preference if believe.

-Pete-
yeah, on the higher ISO settings, I've seen surprisingly little grain on the Canon's. I haven't had a chance to use one of their DSLR's yet though. I heard Canon's are more expensive in the long run if you shoot with multiple lenses, as many people have told me that the D70s standard lens is one of the best out there, and out-does the standard Canon lenses. So, to get equivalent shots, I'm told you'd need to purchase a better lens for the Canon.

Though, the Canon's are more competitive when it comes to MP's and price - but people don't like the bodies.

Camera shops where I live tend to do great deals with the Canons. A twin lens kit for the 350D (for maybe 400D?) is slightly cheaper than the new D80 with a single lens.

I'm always sitting on the fence for this issue though. As soon as I think I've made up my mind, I see some fantastic shots from the opposite camera which sways me back.
QUOTE Thanks
jdmwerks

jdmwerks is on a distinguished road

I had a d50 for a while and I really loved it. It ended up getting stolen out of a friends car and i went a year with no camera. I finally owned up and spent the money on a new one. I was going to go buy the D50 again but decided to go with the canon rebel Xt since theres good things about both. I ended up returning the xt for an XTi since the price was almost identical and never regretted my decision yet. I love it. Love the features better then the D50. The only thing I liked better about the D50 was the way it felt in my hand.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Click

This guy is excellent for reviews, I've posted his site here before (I should get comission...) He gets down to real comparisons in the lower half of the page "My Personal Preferences". Like people have said, it's a personal choice and both companies make great camera's.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I really like Jeff Keller's reviews and I trust him for being unbiased. Just IMO though comparing the Canon Digital Rebel, that came out in 2003, with the Nikon D50 which was launched in 2005 isn't a real comparison as digital camera technology leaps in one year'S time. A real fair comparison would be to compare the Digital Rebel XT, maybe, with the D50. Anyway. here are the links to the reviews I mentioned earlier:

DCRP Review: Canon Digital Rebel

DCRP Review: Nikon D50
QUOTE Thanks
breadfan35

breadfan35 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsboy18 View Post
As a Canon guy... I have to say you are way off here... You will always see alot of L glass at any event that requires large telephotos. Canon has always dominated those markets. But if you look at people doing more in the field PJ and studio work you will quickly see more Nikon than Canon. Both have advantages... Canon may have better telephotos but at the same time they have worthless wide angles (I'm speaking from painful experience).... an area that Nikon does quite well in....

Again to make blanket statement is just silly. It all depends on what you are shooting.
I'm glad to see a Canon person who can be objective. I shoot Nikon and really only went Nikon because my Film camera was a Nikon and I wanted to be able to use my lenses that I already had. That being said, now that I know more, I will probably stay Nikon as I just feel that overall they are more user friendly, and have much better designed camera bodies when it comes to feel and comfort IMO. (at least at the entry and semi-pro level)

I will say that for a good while, Nikon had some significant noise problems at high ISOs. However, Nikon has made great improvements in this area and I expect them to only get better at it. My D200 performs great all the way to ISO 1000. (I rarely go above that) Canon and the CMOS sensor generally have and still do (but not by much now) preform better at high ISOs, especially with the Full Frame sensored 5D and 1Ds Mark II.

However, I do not think Canon has better glass than Nikon. I am not sure which brand has more choices, but as for quality I think Nikon has the edge. And I am not alone there. Hence Canon bodies having an adaptor available to mount Nikon glass on the Canon body. There is no adaptor the other way around. Also there is no "top of the line" Nikon glass as Canon has with their "L" series. All Nikon glass, is top of the line glass. Typically sports photographers go Canon for the 8.5 Frames Per Second @ a full 8.2 megapixel resolution, not necessarily because their telephoto glass is better. Nikon does not match that fps rate. The D2X(s) will shoot 8 fps, but at a 6 megapixel center frame crop mode and the D2H(s) will shoot 8 fps at full resolution, but that model only has a 4.3 megapixel sensor. That and that alone, (I believe) is the reason most sports people shoot Canon. Nikon just has no true equivalent to match Canon in that area.

That being said, if I could afford it I'd have my Nikon equipment and some Canon gear. I'd love to have the best of both worlds!

QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadfan35 View Post
I will probably stay Nikon as I just feel that overall they are more user friendly, and have much better designed camera bodies when it comes to feel and comfort IMO. (at least at the entry and semi-pro level)
Ergonomics are huge, and everyone will have their own take on how any given camera body will fit in their hands. Holding one is the best thing to do, any camera your thinking of getting.
Quote:
I will say that for a good while, Nikon had some significant noise problems at high ISOs. However, Nikon has made great improvements in this area and I expect them to only get better at it. My D200 performs great all the way to ISO 1000. (I rarely go above that) Canon and the CMOS sensor generally have and still do (but not by much now) preform better at high ISOs, especially with the Full Frame sensored 5D and 1Ds Mark II.
I will strongly disagree here. Nikon has commited themselves to the DX format and has no where to go with it. You cannot fit more pixels into the same sized sensor without having noise issues. I recently had several RAW images sent to me shot with different Canon bodies to compare with my own gear and have to say that the 5D, 1Ds Mark II, and 1D Mark IIn camera bodies do much better at high ISO than either the D200 or D2x. Nikon will not improve upon this unless they change sensor format to something like Canon's 1.3x on the Mark IIn or full frame. This alone may have me switching over in the not too distant future, as I like to shoot with higher ISO's and would like to have more detail in the images after noise reduction.

The difference is in the size of the "Grain" you get from the bodies. The noise grain from the Nikon cameras is thicker whereas the Canon high end bodies have a nice smaller grain.

The lower end Canon's have no advantage that I could see over the Nikon bodies.
Quote:
However, I do not think Canon has better glass than Nikon. I am not sure which brand has more choices, but as for quality I think Nikon has the edge. And I am not alone there. Hence Canon bodies having an adaptor available to mount Nikon glass on the Canon body. There is no adaptor the other way around. Also there is no "top of the line" Nikon glass as Canon has with their "L" series. All Nikon glass, is top of the line glass.
Not true at all, the Canon L glass has that nice red stripe to let people know you spent the money on the good stuff. Nikon has a gold stripe around their premiere glass, basically any of the glass with a fixed aperture is their high end stuff.

QUOTE Thanks
breadfan35

breadfan35 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin_aa View Post
Ergonomics are huge, and everyone will have their own take on how any given camera body will fit in their hands. Holding one is the best thing to do, any camera your thinking of getting.
Agreed.

Quote:
I will strongly disagree here. Nikon has commited themselves to the DX format and has no where to go with it. You cannot fit more pixels into the same sized sensor without having noise issues. I recently had several RAW images sent to me shot with different Canon bodies to compare with my own gear and have to say that the 5D, 1Ds Mark II, and 1D Mark IIn camera bodies do much better at high ISO than either the D200 or D2x. Nikon will not improve upon this unless they change sensor format to something like Canon's 1.3x on the Mark IIn or full frame. This alone may have me switching over in the not too distant future, as I like to shoot with higher ISO's and would like to have more detail in the images after noise reduction.
Yes, Nikon has chosen to stay with the DX format...for now. (They will go Full Frame eventually, but that is another discussion for another time) But as for your argument against it, I don't agree. If you do not think the D200 and D80 have the best noise performance of any Nikon digital SLR to date, then you're nuts! The D2X is noisier than the D200 and the D80, but it is also older. I've not read a review on the D2Xs yet. Nikon has had rather good success with the 1.5x crop. And your argument that they cannot improve noise performance without changing sensor format, well, I disagree there too. Let's look at Canon here. The 20D, 30D, and I believe the 350D have better noise performance than the 10D and 300D, yet they all use the same 1.6x crop sensor. (not sure about the 400D's noise performance yet) They have better noise performance because Canon improved upon it. And as I have already said, I fully admit Canon has better noise performance than Nikon, but not by leaps and bounds anymore. Nikon has done much better in the noise area of late.

Quote:
Not true at all, the Canon L glass has that nice red stripe to let people know you spent the money on the good stuff. Nikon has a gold stripe around their premiere glass, basically any of the glass with a fixed aperture is their high end stuff.
I stand corrected, my apologies. However, you still have Canon people buying adaptors to fit Nikon glass on Canon bodies. Remember that if you switch and you can save some money and keep using your Nikkor glass. ;-)

QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

I did not compare the D200 images yet, as I don't really use that body much but will get too it...it needs a vertical grip, and I cannot see spending the cash on one if I dont keep the camera. The one thing you must do when comparing noise is ensure you 1. shoot RAW and 2. open them with no noise reduction performed on the files.

The lower end canon bodies I looked at had noise as bad or worse than a D70's files. The professional line from Canon, and the 5D were the only ones that impressed me. I did not have a file from the XTi

I need to get a D2H and D2Hs file as well, however in order to get better noise performance...I mean really get better noise performance then you need to have more room. The larger the area you have for a pixel the less light it takes to energize that pixel. The less light it takes to energize, the better noise performance you can get. I do not think that Nikon will be successful in competing in the professional market unless they make that move, and their are currently no indicators that they will.

I have owned Nikons for years, have no owned a Canon since high school...dont get me wrong I would love to hear an announcement about a D3H that was say 8-11MP with a 1.3x or full frame sensor. Right now, it looks like I may switch brands before that happens...I am not emotional about my gear, I want whatever will perform best.

My little study of the noise is non-scientific and purely a matter of opinion. I want to be able to shoot at ISO 1600 and get relatively clean files. Noise will be there, but give me small grain noise that I can get rid of with noiseware or noise ninja without the loss of so much detail.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with fisheye | Cant save/find altered pictures on iPhoto »