New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto Display Size and Resizing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have been digging deeper into iPhoto. Two questions:

iPhoto doesn't seem to have a setting that controls the size at which it displays a photo when it opens it. It seems to simply use the available screen size. There is nothing that shows what the zoom factor is, whether it has been scaled up or scaled down. Is there some way to at least figure out what the current scaling factor is, and secondly, is there a way to set this so that it zooms to 100% by default?

iPhoto doesn't seem to have the ability to resize photos! Can this be true? I haven't been able to find any such ability. Have I missed it?

Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
makwanad

makwanad will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb

What version of iphoto do you own? If it is 6 then you should have no problem, you can even use full screen editing.

Back with the mac!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have the latest version (I run Tiger, and am up to date with all the updates). It is not that I can't see the image large enough, but I would like to know and be able to control what zoom factor it is displayed at. Also, I would like to be able to resize the image to different pixel dimensions as part of editing so that I could, for example, send a smaller version of the photo to friends via email. For example, I may wish to send a 640x480 version of a photo to someone, rather thatn the full size that comes off my camera.

Any hints on how to (a) see and control the display zoom factor and (b) how to actually resize the pixel dimensions of a photo in iPhoto?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I don't think you can get a), but b) you can do via the export command (File-> Export / command+e).
QUOTE Thanks
joyseeker

joyseeker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I don't think you can get a), but b) you can do via the export command (File-> Export / command+e).
that is logical? its clear i need to get a proper photo package, plug-in or freeware.

any recomendations?

i do not want to keep original size pics on my baby mac to save disk space.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

To be honest, I don't think the space you'll save from reducing your photos file size is really worth sacrificing the ability to retain all of the image quality of your image.

iPhoto is set up to be extremely conservative with your images: Every edit creates a backup of your original file... that goes for cropping, resizing and and other sort of editing.
QUOTE Thanks
joyseeker

joyseeker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
To be honest, I don't think the space you'll save from reducing your photos file size is really worth sacrificing the ability to retain all of the image quality of your image.

iPhoto is set up to be extremely conservative with your images: Every edit creates a backup of your original file... that goes for cropping, resizing and and other sort of editing.
that post changed the way i looked at things in this new world...... i upgraded to a black book..... and am retrieving (as much as i can) the big pics.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
sbvishal

sbvishal is on a distinguished road

Hi
It is better to use Thumbnail Creater before creating your iPhoto Library.

You will find it free on web.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I have been digging deeper into iPhoto. Two questions:

iPhoto doesn't seem to have a setting that controls the size at which it displays a photo when it opens it. It seems to simply use the available screen size. There is nothing that shows what the zoom factor is, whether it has been scaled up or scaled down. Is there some way to at least figure out what the current scaling factor is, and secondly, is there a way to set this so that it zooms to 100% by default?

iPhoto doesn't seem to have the ability to resize photos! Can this be true? I haven't been able to find any such ability. Have I missed it?

Thanks!

Vishal Singh Bhardvaj
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto Access Networked Drives | My new Crumpler »