New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

HDR pictures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bonzaisushi

Bonzaisushi is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, somewhat new to the forum. These are some Hdr pictures i took recently with the 1d. the first 2 shots are about 10 Raw Images each and the picture file was 108mb to work with while processing them, Took quite a while but im pretty satisfied with the way they turned out. If you guys havent tried HDR photography i encourage you to try it, Its incredibly fun to do, and the results are always amazing!

This last one, was another compiled of 7 Raw shots i believe, and somewhere in the blending of the layers while messing with the histogram that blue popped out, and decided not to fix it so whatever.

:yinyang:
Mac Book Pro 17" 2 Gig Ram, 120 gig

Canon 1dMarkII // Canon 20D// Some Lenses
Bonzai Photography!Click me!
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

What is HDR photography?
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

HIgh Dynamic Range. What you do is take multiple exposures of the same image. usually you want to do 3 but you can do more, that way you get exposures and usually the whole image is exposed where as some images you will get a washed out sky, or a under exposed ground. This does it all. you adjust exposure through the shutter speed, not aperture. I took those pictures late sunset.

QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

Hmm, interesting. Do you have to have any special cameras together? And do you just layer them in Photoshop?
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

you can do it with any camera. You can layer them or if you have cs2 go to automate and look for Merge To HDR Function, it will allow you to merge all yoru pictures there. it becomes a 32 bit image so you can only clone and mess with the histogram and levels i believe. youll want to convert it to a Tiff image then to a 8bit image.

QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Those pictures are awesome, I really like the one of the barn and the street.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

I like the shot with the traffic best, gives a bit different look to the more normal black w/lights shot.

The barn has a bit of a halo around the roof area.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin_aa
I like the shot with the traffic best, gives a bit different look to the more normal black w/lights shot.

The barn has a bit of a halo around the roof area.

and that halo wont go away :blind: its so aggrivating! i tried burning it but still no luck.

QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Did you do it yourself or with the HDR feature? If you did it with HDR, you can take a photo that most closely represents your sky and put that portion of the image there erasing the rest and using the opacity to get it looking right...that may be the route to go.

QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

that is pretty cool, so if i would go out and normally set my aperture at X for a shot and then step up it up one or two stops and then lower it one or two for the shots? i assume you need a tripod. but how do you compensate for things that might be in motion, like cars, swaying trees or grass in wind

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

For this kind of shot a tripod is a must. I prefer to use manual mode as your exposure compensation can change especially with an image that contains roads with cars if a set of headlights hits your sensor...

If you are selecting portions of the image to use yourself you can simply chose the photograph with say a tree that is exposed as you wish and erase that tree in the other exposures...with HDR it decides what is kept and what is thrown away.

One very basic use is a double exposure, where you set up on a tripod and expose two images. One image is metered for the sky, and one metered for the foreground. In this sort you only have one line to merge, the skyline and this is the simplest to play with while experimenting.

Bonsaisushi may have other processes to complete the task.

QUOTE Thanks
coltssaturday

coltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nicecoltssaturday is just really nice

nice HDR pics
QUOTE Thanks
Scroatdog

Scroatdog will become famous soon enough

Three words: Oh My God !

1) Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz, iWork, Ilife 06, Logic Pro, Office 2K4
2) A PC with a bunch of stuff in it.
QUOTE Thanks
Bonzaisushi

set the aperture around 14-18 then adjust the exposure with the shutter speed

QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

Do they have to be in RAW format because I just used my Point and Shoot camera and used JPGs and got some weird results.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanning/processing color negatives? | Where Does Finder Store Its Thumbnails? »