New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto Newbie Question About Library

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have just started to play around with iPhoto. Looks nice, but I do have one question. I imported all of my 2006 photos to date into it, and then created a 2006 library and added them to it. That much worked great, but I expected them to "move" from the main library to this new library. Instead, it appears that the photos always remain in the main library, and that the individual libraries that you create are just different views of them per however you wish to organize them.

Is this the case? If it is, the main library will get VERY big over time, as it holds every photo you have ever imported, rather like the main view in iTunes. Is there any way to sudivide that main library or is it simply supposed to be the huge collection of everthing you have ever imported, from which you may construct any view you wish?

Is there a limit to how many photos you can import into this library before iTunes can't handle it any more? Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

The point of the Main Library is to hold all the photos you have uploaded.
As for photos and iTunes, I have no idea where you are going with that.
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

Think of it like itunes; Your itunes library contains all your music that you have imported. The playlists below your library simply contain different groupings of the music you have in the library. Now think of iphoto in the same way. You have your iphoto library and all the albums/books below just contain different groupings/views of your main library.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

here's my thing. If I have certain folders of pictures, say wallpapers and then random pictures. When I drop those pictures into iphoto should I delete the original from the folders I have since they have now be copied into the iphoto library. I'm assuming the answer is yes, b/c if I didn't I'd have doubles, but then again I'd know exactly where certain types of pictures are b/c they'd still be localized within the original folders I dropped them in before importing them into iphoto. Hope I didn't make it out to be harder than it really is or confuse anyone.
QUOTE Thanks
Mace

Mace will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 1.83 MBP

...anyone with some insight or am I just asking a really basic question?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« zoom or wide angle?? i am looking to pick up a new lense | dvd cover creator »