New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

help with calibration!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gregjp48

gregjp48 is on a distinguished road

On the Display Calibrator Utility, I just can't seem to get the apple logo to blend into the background, no matter how hard I try. This is really important because I need good color prints fast and don't have money to buy a spyder calibrator.
Any tips, etc. for using the utility?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Is this a laptop or a desktop with a monitor?

What kind of monitor (LCD or CRT)?

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
gregjp48

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
Is this a laptop or a desktop with a monitor?

What kind of monitor (LCD or CRT)?
it's my ibook's lcd screen, man i'm so frustrated just can't get that little apple to blend in

also, i read here that I should just set my monitor to srgb. However, I use the Adobe RGB Color space, as I print on an inkjet printer. Does that matter?

The reason I want to calibrate is because My prints came out way way lighter and washed out. I knew that happens if you try to post an rgb file on the web and view it in a browser, but I thought I would be able to use the extra gammut in printing.

As well, in the print menu, I can't find the color management option in the printer dialog box as shown here.

Please Help I am very confused and everywhere I read something, I read something else saying the complete opposite.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

I don't have any specific experience with iBooks, but on my Powerbook I couldn't get it to sync unless I had my brightness all the way up. Double check that.

QUOTE Thanks
gregjp48

Quote:
I don't have any specific experience with iBooks, but on my Powerbook I couldn't get it to sync unless I had my brightness all the way up. Double check that.
yes i always leave my brightness all the way up when it's plugged in, which it is now. Still having a lot of trouble. Anyone have any suggestions, as well as answers to my questions above?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

Open System Preferences > Displays.

Check/post what color profile you're currently using.

QUOTE Thanks
gregjp48

Quote:
Open System Preferences > Displays.

Check/post what color profile you're currently using.
you mean on my lcd screen?
Well, before I tried to calibrate it, I have been using the Color LCD Profile which is the default. Should I be using this? And will it matter if I calibrate that as opposed to any of the other preset options?
QUOTE Thanks
gregjp48

also, does it need to blend in completely?
I watched a movie on how to do it on apple.com and it blended in fully, but I just wanted to check
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

The closer the apple is to the background, the more accurate printing will be.

Your LCD can be set to many different pre-made color profiles, you can switch between them in System Preferences by clicking on Displays. It's most likely set to "LCD", but for printing at work I use something like "Adobe 1997" or something like that.

QUOTE Thanks
gregjp48

Quote:
The closer the apple is to the background, the more accurate printing will be.

Your LCD can be set to many different pre-made color profiles, you can switch between them in System Preferences by clicking on Displays. It's most likely set to "LCD", but for printing at work I use something like "Adobe 1997" or something like that.
i used "Adobe 1998 and made adjustments in photoshop to compensate for color. I then printed it out via inkjet printer and looked at the print.

It is even more washed out than before and still has a green color cast which is now even more pronounced, although it looks fine on the screen. Plus on the screen I lost a lot of red tones out of the photo.

????????
god what a headache
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

Geez, what kind of printer is it?

We have an HP LaserJet 9500 here at work and it prints true to my screen.

QUOTE Thanks
gregjp48

Quote:
Geez, what kind of printer is it?

We have an HP LaserJet 9500 here at work and it prints true to my screen.
an hp deskjet 930c mayb its just a crappy printer

one thing:
if I send my photo to a lab, when I convert the photo to srgb in photoshop, do I have to change the profile in "displays" to srgb as well?
QUOTE Thanks
gregjp48

do you shoot in rgb or srgb?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto or Adobe Elements? | 15,000 Layers »