New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Canon SLR

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

Sigma stuff is good so dont discount it. The thing is though that some people van get snotty about lens and will only buy one brand, people like sarahsboy have a good reason for being a snob though as they use the L series stuff.

Me personally i use what ever i can afford mixed with what ever the general opinion of people i trust is. I was going to get something like a Sigma/Tamron 70-200 lens but a canon 100-300 came up at the same price and the guys in the shop said the canon lens so i took that purely on price and i would have still been really happy to buy another branded lens.

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Say_Cheese

Say_Cheese has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz

I always had my Canon 28-105mm lens that came bundled with my Canon EOS 5. A year ago in February I brought the 70-200 f2.8 IS USM L Series. I won't buy anything other than L series now. I can justify the cost to myself easily just by looking at the difference in results.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsboy18
Good point... That being said, on a 1.6x crop like the Rebel or 20/30D the 50mm technically is right around the equivelant of 85mm on a full frame camera...
Yes, thats true...and I love the 50mm and you cannot beat the f/1.4 price on those lenses. I guess I will have to wait to actually have both the 50mm and 85mm (should have soon ordered it ages ago) to see which gets used more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsboy18
As far as Sigma lenses... I don't personally buy them... but I am kind of a Canon snob... that's just me. I know other guys that do and love them.
Bottom line munch, and I'm sure Odin_aa will agree, it is really a matter of personal taste. You just have to hit the local shop and try a few out and see what works for you.
I have owned one sigma lens, the 105mm macro. It hunted for focus and was too slow and noisy for me. Photo quality was decent and I agree with Sarasboy on everything and will repeat some of it ...

I currently only own Nikon lenses, I do have a 12-24mm Tokina on order which is supposed to be a superb lens. B&H will ship it today, so I would guess it will be in my hands NLT Sat/Monday and will let you know my thoughts on it.

Tokina as a third party is supposed to be "tops" then I think Tamron then Sigma. However they all have lenses that are considered better than others, for instance the Tokina 12-24 is 1/3 the price of either Nikon or Canon's equal and supposed to have the same Color/Contrast/Sharpness as these. Any time it is possible to go to a camera shop and throw one on your camera take a few shots then go home and look at them, when using the lens focus on something that has vertical changes and something that has horizontal changes to see if it opertates in what you find to be acceptable standards. Ideally if you have a large camera shop, you could even try more than one brand under the exact same lighting and settings to compare at home.

If its just a hobby, why go into debt...although show me a cheap hobby I have never had one.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

Hmmmm mac's and DSLR's not really cheap are they

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

thanks so much for all of the help. im leaning towards the 30d. its only a couple hundred more than the 20d and i love the larger screen. and i plan on this being my camera for a long time so i want something really good. its not that the rebel xt isnt good its jsut that if im going to have this for a loong time i think i might as well spend a lot. it comes with the stock lens and then ill probably get one more...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nikon D50 camera settings for low light & no flash situation | Double-click problem in Photoshop CS »