New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Question regarding Photoshop CS2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Emuleem22

I've always wanted Photoshop but I could never make myself to justify the purchase because it's quite expensive for a guy like me, espeically when I'm not exactly an artist. But I recently discovered how cheap it is if I buy it at my school's student store... it's still expensive, but I could get the entire Creative Suite 2 for $399. If I'm not mistaken, it's a pretty good deal that students can get. My inner-artist didn't suddenly urge me to buy one just because I found this deal, but rather, my career as a student is ending in two months, and I'm thinking, "If I ever do decide to buy one after all, I'll regret that I didn't do so when I had the privilege of getting one for cheap."
Now, my question is this: Is NOW a good time to get Adobe CS2?
This doubt comes from the following concerns:

1. Is the new version of Adobe CS coming out any time soon? I don't know exactly how long CS2's been around, but I know it's been around for a while. The last thing I want is to do what I did with my purchase of iPod -> buying 60GB iPod Photo 2 days before video iPod was announced.

2. Would software update take care of making the Photoshop native with the new Intel chips? Or would waiting the purchase until it becomes native a better choice?

Also, another question is: Should I get the entire suite for $399, or buy just the Photoshop, which is an eye-popping $299 just by itself.
Like I said, I've never used Photoshop so I'm only going to start to learn how to use this app. I don't know the use of other apps, but should I ever find other apps appealing, I would regret that I didn't buy them for a mere $100. (Each one of the other apps are about $80~$100 each)

Thanks for any input.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuleem22
I've always wanted Photoshop but I could never make myself to justify the purchase because it's quite expensive for a guy like me, espeically when I'm not exactly an artist. But I recently discovered how cheap it is if I buy it at my school's student store... it's still expensive, but I could get the entire Creative Suite 2 for $399. If I'm not mistaken, it's a pretty good deal that students can get. My inner-artist didn't suddenly urge me to buy one just because I found this deal, but rather, my career as a student is ending in two months, and I'm thinking, "If I ever do decide to buy one after all, I'll regret that I didn't do so when I had the privilege of getting one for cheap."
Now, my question is this: Is NOW a good time to get Adobe CS2?
This doubt comes from the following concerns:

1. Is the new version of Adobe CS coming out any time soon? I don't know exactly how long CS2's been around, but I know it's been around for a while. The last thing I want is to do what I did with my purchase of iPod -> buying 60GB iPod Photo 2 days before video iPod was announced.

2. Would software update take care of making the Photoshop native with the new Intel chips? Or would waiting the purchase until it becomes native a better choice?

Also, another question is: Should I get the entire suite for $399, or buy just the Photoshop, which is an eye-popping $299 just by itself.
Like I said, I've never used Photoshop so I'm only going to start to learn how to use this app. I don't know the use of other apps, but should I ever find other apps appealing, I would regret that I didn't buy them for a mere $100. (Each one of the other apps are about $80~$100 each)

Thanks for any input.
1. Adobe creative suite 2 has small updates at times, thee are free via adobe updater app through any adobe app, when it goes to cs 3, you would need to purchase that all over again, not until 2007 though.
2. no, updating will not do anything toward intel chips. adobe isn't using universal binaries until CS 3 sometime in 2007.
3. photoshop at my student bookstore alone is only $99, why is it so much there? if you REALLy don't want to buy it, try out a demo first, or gimp, which is almost as good as photoshop.
QUOTE Thanks
Emuleem22

No Universal Binaries until CS3 eh? I see. But wow, only $99 at your student book store? I thought I was getting a good deal. Darn. What school is that, if you don't mind....
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuleem22
No Universal Binaries until CS3 eh? I see. But wow, only $99 at your student book store? I thought I was getting a good deal. Darn. What school is that, if you don't mind....
It's san antonio college, in san antonio, texas. the whole cs 2 package is only $299, each app alone is $99.
QUOTE Thanks
Emuleem22

Wow. I'm in California, so I guess I can't drive to your school. =p
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I would suggest to use something like Gimp or download the free trial from Adobe's website. That would be better than spending 400 bucks and finding out you dont like the software or its too hard for you. I go to the University of Oklahoma and our CS2 package is $226, I got it last year, great deal.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

If you have one of the new intel chip systems photoshop is clocked considerably slower on those machines due to it not being written for them. I was going to buy a new powerbook but am looking at a G4 powerbook now due to this fact.

As far as purchasing it if you have the 'old' chipsets I would buy the entire suite getting it all for 300.-400. is a great deal if you will use the programs. Of course you can go to adobe's lightbox software beta test for free and if you are not currently using or used to photoshop there would be no expectations going into using the program.
I have never used GIMP or any of the other free software programs so cannot make an educated statement about any of those.
QUOTE Thanks
tjespo22

tjespo22 can only hope to improve

You can get adobe photoshop cs for free of of limewire ..it comes with the cd key and everything..
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjespo22
You can get adobe photoshop cs for free of of limewire ..it comes with the cd key and everything..
However.....

That is illegal

It is also against the Forum Rules to even discuss things like that here.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Yes, I could steal your car too but that does not mean that I should steal it. Theft is theft, funny how people look at stealing programs/music/photographs differently than stealing other things.
QUOTE Thanks
randomfactor

randomfactor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
It's san antonio college, in san antonio, texas. the whole cs 2 package is only $299, each app alone is $99.
Adobe CS2 is a lot more expensive in the UK. It's 829 for the standard suite and 1050 for the premium suite! and the educational discount is only about 8 off standard and 16 off the premium suite.

Man Fears Time but Time Fears the Pyramids
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I took the plunge and upgraded to iLife 06 | Cant backup my new iLife O6 »