Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    If you are willing to buy a bare drive and an enclosure you can build you own external 2 TB drive for roughly $100.00. The following are examples there are numerous others available. There may even be some available for less.

3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare hard drive
    Rosewill RX35-AT-SU BLK Black External Enclosure - Newegg.com Enclosure
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro OS 10.11.1, iPhone 5s iOS 9.2, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2, iPod Classic 80Gb
    Sometimes I get the feeling that we give people a little bit too much information. With the best of intentions we attempt to make our answers comprehensive but inadvertently make the issue sound so complex that there is the danger of putting people off.
    I favour the "K.I.S.S." method (Keep It Simple Stupid). Often the simple answer is best.
    People need to crawl before they can walk.
    This guy simply needs to preserve some DVD's. And as to his query about backing up his "whole computer" may not even be at the stage of understanding TimeMachine or the need for it. So suggesting he build his own external HD might be pushing it at bit.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd just like to think we are aiming our answers at the right target.
    Cheers guys,
    If you were helped by this forum please add reputation points to that member by clicking on the "Thumbs Up" icon, bottom left corner of each thread. (Yes I know it's small)

Specs:
    I'm certainly guilty of too much information syndrome from time to time. In this case I included the information simply as an indication of what can be done. Most of the enclosures are not that difficult to put together though some are certainly easier than others.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro OS 10.11.1, iPhone 5s iOS 9.2, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2, iPod Classic 80Gb
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    I'm certainly guilty of too much information syndrome from time to time. In this case I included the information simply as an indication of what can be done. Most of the enclosures are not that difficult to put together though some are certainly easier than others.
    Actually the instructions are quite interesting, I might give it a try myself.
    If you were helped by this forum please add reputation points to that member by clicking on the "Thumbs Up" icon, bottom left corner of each thread. (Yes I know it's small)

Specs:
    I can probably dig up better instructions. There's tons of software out there that can do this. Some of it has a somewhat nicer interface and might be easier to use. I've got a couple of them on my hard drive. When I get a bit of free time I'll look at them to see which ones might be easier/have nicer interface. Handbrake has the advantage of being free.

Okay, so complicated tech questions aside, the reason I can't get the dv tapes transferred straight to dvd is because a straight transfer will produce deteriorated results. So the guy has to do a digitization process through a firewire (my original tapes are not from an hd camera) and this will produce the digital file anyway. He will be making mpeg2 files. Does this all check out? $25 per tape for just the files and $35 per tape for files and dvds.

I need to know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by usingmac View Post
    I need to know as soon as possible. Thanks!

What's the question...???

You said " ...$25 per tape for just the files and $35 per tape for files and dvds." which seems like a bargain to get both for $10.00 extra, and I'm assuming the DVDs are ready to play, but not quite sure how the "files" are being saved to.

But, geese, aren't these precious family movies??? My advice - don't go cheap now or you and any descendants may be very p'd off in the future and regret "saving a few bucks"!!!

I guess I mainly need to know if this is a good approach and the method and file type the guy wants to save to makes sense.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.5
    I guess I mainly need to know if this is a good approach and the method and file type the guy wants to save to makes sense.
    Hello again - I don't believe that you ever answered some of the questions in my post #5 which might help to determine if you are really obtaining a 'good deal' on this transfer - the cost seems somewhat exorbitant to me (but I've not gone through the process and don't know if you obtained other estimates of cost?) - plus, the quality of your original tapes remains completely uncertain, i.e. they will not be improved irregardless of what more 'fancy' techniques are used.

Please try to provide more information addressing my questions, especially concerning the number of tapes/hours that you want to convert and the original quality of the the tapes? Dave

Sorry if i didn't answer your questions directly, but I've pretty much laid everything out. I have mini-dv tapes in good condition that have to be digitized. A straight transfer would yield a crummy picture because to go digital means to upscale. Therefore the tapes need to be digitized and the format will be mpeg2 files. I hope that's the best kind for me. When doing this, a digital file will be created for each tape. Each tape is an hour in length. So I have to pay for that anyway to get good archived videos. I could pay an extra $10 to get each file transferred to dvd, saving me time and hassle trying to find a decent and free dvd burning program that actually makes menus (good luck with that, right?).

I don't want to go to fancy places that charge an arm and a leg because they do work for movie studios and the like. So I'm talking to this guy who runs a small company but seems to know what he's talking about. But I need the confidence to spend that much money all at once. That's my dilemma.

If you want to do a comparison and price for what you'd end up with you could check out the appropriate Costco web site for your area and see what they offer, and their price etc.

I mention Costco as they were recommended to us by a photo/video user and they had a sale on a while back and we had some old tapes converted. Good service and results at a reasonable cost.

I believe they also provide storage and transfer abilities for all the digital stuff for a while at least. So you could do any needed downloading or send it off to your friends or relatives all via your Mac.

I don't think I can trust Costco because I don't know what kind of technology they're using. Will you really get more than a straight transfer (i.e. technician hits "record" and walks away) from them?

Well all I can say is we trusted them and got some nice usable keepsakes from what were basically useless unusable tapes, regardless of how they did it, so as far as I'm concerned, good luck with your project and I'm out of here.

Goodbye!!

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.5
    I don't think I can trust Costco because I don't know what kind of technology they're using. Will you really get more than a straight transfer (i.e. technician hits "record" and walks away) from them?
    Well, still curious as to 'how many' hours or tapes you are trying to convert? Also, I'm not sure which mini DV camcorder (s) you used for these home movies but knowing their original digital resolution may help in your decision - there have been many standards developed, probably starting w/ 480 going to 720i or 720p and up a higher definition at 1080i - you're want to at least duplicate these resolutions; I'm not sure 'how much' improvement will occur going from one of the lower resolutions to a preprocessed higher one - guess that I'd to see and A:B comparison. Dave

Thread Information