New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto replacement - Aperture vs. Lightroom

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Just to make things clear, iCloud Photo Storage is **an option** for those who would like to have an off-site and secure backup of their photos. It's not mandatory.

Though in fact, if one wanted to pay to store up to 200GB of photos on iCloud Photo Storage, the cost would be ... giving you a moment to sit down and brace yourself ... a whopping $48/year. THE NERVE!!

But of course you can also keep your photos stored locally for "free" (well, minus the costs of the hard drives and other incidentals). I plan on doing both, since I like the idea of an encrypted off-site backup and also like having local backups.
QUOTE Thanks
Dunko27

Dunko27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Just to make things clear, iCloud Photo Storage is **an option** for those who would like to have an off-site and secure backup of their photos. It's not mandatory.

Though in fact, if one wanted to pay to store up to 200GB of photos on iCloud Photo Storage, the cost would be ... giving you a moment to sit down and brace yourself ... a whopping $48/year. THE NERVE!!

But of course you can also keep your photos stored locally for "free" (well, minus the costs of the hard drives and other incidentals). I plan on doing both, since I like the idea of an encrypted off-site backup and also like having local backups.
Well that's good news then. Having a third level of storage (which is offsite) may be worth the $48. I'll still wait and see though. I'm now looking forward to release day.

KD
QUOTE Thanks
ryrhoades

ryrhoades is on a distinguished road

Light room all the way. There is some learning to it but once you figure it all out, you won't regret it. I used IPhoto for a while and after switching to light room I find it more convenient, not to mention the expansive editing abilities.
QUOTE Thanks
smb

smb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro

If you are looking to try Lr5, new Apps are starting to show up to help with exporting from Aperture to Lightroom.
This is a Beta program that I will try in the next few days with a few small Libraries to see how it works.
http://www.ct-digiphoto.com/aperture...ary-lightroom/
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The more I look into Photos, the more I think that it will be an entirely suitable replacement for iPhoto (perhaps on release, perhaps after an update or two), and in fact has great potential to be far superior in many respects. No disrespect intended to Lightroom (which I also own, er rent), but I'm not sure most iPhoto or even Aperture users should be in such a rush to jump ship just yet. Maybe later.
QUOTE Thanks
smb

Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro

Not really jumping ship. Just occupying my time while Photos sorts itself out.
The question is will Photos be superior to Aperture. At some point probably so. But in that time Adobe will likely not be standing still.
So in the interim I decided to learn Lr and keep Aperture intact. I don't intend to migrate my files to Lr, but just saw this article and passed it along.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

I hope Photos turns out to be great. App competition helps fuel innovation and lower cost for consumers. Which is why I was actually sadden to hear Aperture being X'd..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
smb

I think Photos will be great for the audience that Apple seems to be targeting.
It just seems that the pro and enthusiast photographer have been slowly abandoned by Apple.
The Photo platform may be so different that by adding plug-ins etc all levels will be accommodated. We shall see.
What concerns me most is that over the last ~two years and over the next 12-18 months many hard core Aperture users have/will drift away and find Lr (or whatever) acceptable and the community of support for Aperture will also fade away. Many blogs and Preset gurus are already closing down. Will they come back, that is the gamble that Apple is willing to take. But these supporters are in many ways the people that drive innovation.
The Lr community is large, helpful and full of support/blogs/presets for the high end user. Once someone moves over, the inconveniences fade away and Apple may not get that person back. The critical mass for Apple shrinks and they may just slowly ignore the pros.
You are right, competition fuels innovation; after all Aperture fueled the creation of Lightroom.
Anyway, I am enjoying the challenge of learning Lr.
QUOTE Thanks
sn315on

sn315on is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  iMac, iPad Mini, MBP, Air

I use Lightroom and have for years. I love being able to batch my photos for sizing and watermarking. I use it in conjunction with Photoshop. I also use iPhoto for things, but, not as much as the other two programs.

Sara
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb View Post
The question is will Photos be superior to Aperture.
That one I can answer right now: no.

In some areas I fully expect Photos to surpass Aperture, but Apple is not designing Photos to be a pro app, its um "focus" (sorry) will be consumer use. Plug-ins may come along and add considerable value to pros (I'd love to see Macphun's pro stuff work with Photos as it does with Photoshop and Lightroom etc) but I think Apple has made it pretty clear that it does not intend to fight Adobe for the serious pro market. On the plus side, it also doesn't seem interested in rent/lease software schemes either.

Quote:
So in the interim I decided to learn Lr and keep Aperture intact. I don't intend to migrate my files to Lr, but just saw this article and passed it along.
Never hurts to be at least passing familiar with market-leading software. I'm essentially doing the same.
QUOTE Thanks
John F

John F will become famous soon enough

I am using Photoshop Elements on a 2009 Macbook Pro with a 500GB SSD and archival storage on an external SSB drive - about 350GB of pictures. It works very well, it is fast and it does just about everything I need it to do.
QUOTE Thanks
RichardKM

RichardKM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
If I had a DAM with the File structure of Aperture and the developing features of LR, then I would have the perfect DAM IMO. . . . . The way LR uses their files/folders is just down right BAD, and there is no continuity to it, no logical way of sorting, its a abomination . . . I loved the way I could find any image I wanted within seconds in Aperture . . . . From the screen shot I have seen of Photos, then I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised with what it has to offer. Heck even iPhoto on iOS had a lot of great feature and all of them where in Aperture.
I don't know how you are using Lightroom, but I have over 39,000 images in Lightroom and I can find anything I want within a very short time with just a few key strokes!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardKM View Post
I don't know how you are using Lightroom, but I have over 39,000 images in Lightroom and I can find anything I want within a very short time with just a few key strokes!!!
Yea, I prob need to do a video tutorial on that to help a few folks out. I keep about 15k on my system at any given time. I really hope my new WD MyBook drives come in this week, I can't do any time-lapse's or much other shooting until I get more space..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Last edited by Exodist; 08-02-2014 at 10:53 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Anyone wanting to move from Aperture to LR in the coming months, and is wondering how they are going to move 10/20/30k of images, then I have the solution for you.
Have a read of this article about a App in the Mac App Store called Aperture Exporter. Article

Quote:
Your original files, whether they are RAW or Jpeg will be exported and organized within a folder along with the metadata (ready to be imported into Lightroom). You also have the option of moving “baked versions” of images that you’ve edited. I’ve selected Jpeg for that format, but you can choose Tiffs instead.
Aperture Exporter ~ MAS Link within

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I see that Adobe has now published a step-by-step guide, but right at the very beginning they say they're working on a migration tool (good) but that the step-by-step guide they're putting out now will (essentially) completely ruin your photo collection, since the list of things it can't import is LONG, starting with your edited images. You have to export all those as TIFF so now you have two copies of all your pictures. No thanks!

Aperture will continue to work in Yosemite, as will iPhoto, and both should be compatible with the forthcoming Photos. While it may not be the right solutionfor everyone, if Macphun and Athentech and perhaps a couple others offer plug-ins for Photos, I'm in.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAW to .jpeg .tiff? | Looking for way to batch-verify images »