New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

picture file location, Photo library vs picture folders

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tdbean

tdbean is on a distinguished road

Which should I use? Should I download my pictures to my picture folders or use Aperture (loaded on my IMac) as the care taker of all my picture, I have a 3T hard drive that I want to use for storing my pictures. I also use Mozy as a backup.
TDBEAN
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Honestly it makes no difference. There are no restrictions in iPhoto or Aperture (or Lightroom, or Picasa, et al) about where the library is stored, how many libraries are stored, and all of the programs I've mentioned let you manually organize files yourself (think the whitewash fence in Huckleberry Finn) or they'll handle it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

As for lightroom it depends on what you want to do with the files. Sure you can copy them to the hard drive and just add them from current location. But for example. I personally convert all my CR2 (raw) files to DNG (digital negatives). Also since its paramount I keep my files organized, I just let Lightroom import them. This actually makes things simpler as it eliminates extra steps and keeps from having to have multiple windows open.

In Lr, when I choose to import. It gives me options of what I would want to do with the files, were to put them, how to rename them and if I would like to do any post batch processing. Also will auto eject/unmount your SD card for you. While I normally elect not to do batch post processing. It would make shooting portraits like for a school much faster..

But it all boils down to personal preference.

Now my only exception to this is video. I open the DCIM folder and pull those out to my desktop. But thats because I don't want them in Lightroom, well most of the time.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

I'm not a great fan of the way Apple organise images. But then some people prefer that way. Provided you can find the picture you want.. it really doesn't matter. Personally I prefer control over where my images are stored and the naming conventions.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chappers: you're "not a fan" of year->month->day->time? That's how iPhoto organizes its pictures ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aperture adjustments vs Lightroom adjustments | Digital Asset Management for EPS »