New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Accessing iphoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

denniswpearce

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

I have the latest desktop iMac plus two iPhones ( wife and mine ), they are all linked via iCloud and of course if I take a pic with the iPhone it transfers automatically to all devices.

My problem today is that I cannot access iPhoto on my iMac.
when I click on the iPhoto icon on launchpad, the screen shows a small panel that says " This iPhoto library is locked, you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permission" and it shows two boxes beneath, one to repair and one to cancel.
If I click on the repair then a box comes up that requires my username and also my password, but they do not work, I know the password is right, as after a few attempts it gives me a hint as to what my password is.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Oh, should have said that if I enter a wrong password then the box gives a shudder to let me know that the password is wrong, so I correct it but then the screen goes back to the beginning again

Last edited by denniswpearce; 04-27-2014 at 06:11 AM. Reason: further info added
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I would start by doing a full backup, then run OnyX.

If that didn't fix the problem, I would launch iPhoto with the command and option keys held down and do every item on the fix list that comes up when you do that.
QUOTE Thanks
denniswpearce

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Thanks for a quick reply. But I am showing my ignorance here. What is OnyX ? and I obviously can see the command key but what are the option keys ? and what do I do ?
I think there must be a lot of us less informed people out there.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Perhaps you are not using a Mac keyboard? The option key is the one next to the command key, says "option" on it. Maybe they've changed them or something, but all mine say "option" and also say "alt" on them.

OnyX is a free utility mentioned constantly on this forum as a reliable and no-cost way to maintain your Mac. It can be run very occasionally to fix little problems before they become big problems. Get the version that matches your system version (ie 10.7, 10.8, 10.9).
QUOTE Thanks
asinrutee

asinrutee is on a distinguished road

Perhaps he is using a new Mac keyboard that doesn't say "option" on it, it says "alt"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Latest Mac keyboards both wired and wireless have "option" written on the keys with a small "alt" also written on the key.
QUOTE Thanks
asinrutee

asinrutee is on a distinguished road

Sorry that is incorrect,

I have Retina Macbook Pro about 9 months old, no where on the keyboard is the word "option"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I have the latest iMac and both my wired and wireless keyboards say option and alt on the key. If the rMBP does not have option written on the key, then it's something that Apple just started doing. Anyway, you know that they're one and the same. The problem is that new users might not know it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Forum Signature Problem | Best way of learning Photoshop ? (Help) »