New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Image Size

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

facimag

facimag is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm having a problem with image sizes being correctly displayed (see the 2 attachments).

In the folder view/details it shows as 586kb, but when opened in Photoshop the file reads as 1.90M. A huge difference.

So is this a system error, or am I missing something?

(Btw, I'm working between a Mac & PC, so not sure if that's affecting anything).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window.JPG (26.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Photoshop.JPG (59.9 KB, 39 views)
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Hello & welcome to the forum - I suspect that PhotoShop by reporting a 1.9 MB file is giving you the original size of the RAW or JPEG image from your digital camera (assume that was the source?) - I have a 16 MP Panasonic Lumix which saves as LARGE JPEG images (yes, MB range).

Now if you have manipulated the image, i.e. cropped, resized, reduced resolution (pixels/inch) and then saved, the compressed JPEG size would be much less. Now I've not used PhotoShop in several years but have a number of photo apps on my MBPro & iPad, all seem to report the metadata & file dimensions slightly different. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
facimag

Hi Dave,

Yes, the images were from a digital camera. That data shows in the view window, but why is the size wrong?

Here's another example (see attached image) where the metadata shows it as 551kb, but when opened in Photoshop it's over 6.5 Megs! To make matters worse, if I hover or right-click the properties, it reads as 1.02 Megs.

3 different sizes for 1 image. Crazy. Am I supposed to open hundreds of images in order to find out what each real size is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageSize.JPG (24.3 KB, 36 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

Photoshop shows Pixel Dimensions, it is not the same as File Size.

Don't worry - everything is as it should be

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.5 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.5 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iOS bunch

File size will depend on the format you're going to save the image in, pixel dimensions, broadly speaking, will remain the same.

Working file size, particularly if you set Photoshop to remember, say 20 steps, can be many times the actual image size.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This may also be a Windows thing as well as what you've shown us are a set of discrepancies as they get manifested on a Windows box. Does the same thing happen on your Mac?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
facimag

David - I understand about the pixels, but a 250kb image is not something I would, automatically, send to a printer for a large poster. I would consider it a small web graphic. But I'd be wrong, unless I opened it in Photoshop to discover the truth....

Vansmith -- good question. I haven't checked on my Mac yet, but I (also) suspect it has something to do with these frustrating PCs...
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

Quote:
Originally Posted by facimag View Post
David - I understand about the pixels, but a 250kb image is not something I would, automatically, send to a printer for a large poster. I would consider it a small web graphic. But I'd be wrong, unless I opened it in Photoshop to discover the truth....
Sorry, you've lost me there - you're still confusing two different things.

Like I said, Photoshop shows Pixel Dimensions, it is not the same as File Size.

If you need to know the FILE SIZE, look at image properties in your OS' file manager and forget, what you see in Photoshop. I suspect that file size is your main concern, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by facimag View Post
Vansmith -- good question. I haven't checked on my Mac yet, but I (also) suspect it has something to do with these frustrating PCs...
This has nothing to do with the operating system used, I can post Linux screenshots to prove, but you just have to trust me on this

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
facimag

Hi David,

I did more research and you're right: the pixel dimensions are different than size -- which can fluctuate depending on the saved format. And when opened is PS, can often triple (which is why a small file gets suddenly huge).

I'm not used to raw camera files; I usually work with already compressed JPEGS, so that when I see hundreds of them in a folder -- and sort them by SIZE -- I know immediately which ones were saved down for Web and which are high-res.

Anyway, thanks to all for the time and help. Much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

No worries, glad you've managed to put your mind at ease.

I did actually run a little test on the same file, as handled by three operating platforms, using Photoshop CS2 in XP, GIMP in Linux (both in VirtualBox) and Photoshop CS5 in OSX - surprisingly, GIMP is the least confusing - it reports the actual file size, pixel dimensions and the file size in memory as three different items, can't be clearer. If only Adobe ever paid any attention ... to anything or anyone.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Even if the image dimensions are the same, the file sizes can vary on the amount of data in them. Thus a black and white image will have smaller size then a photo of a rainbow.
Also size of the data on disk is not the same as file size once in memory. The file can be 500k on disk, but once opened up it can take up to 2MB or more. This is completely normal.

I have a few panoramic photos on my system that are over 13,000 x 8,000 pixels at 240PPI.. That takes quiet a bit more RAM.. LOL

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with my photography | Macbook Retina and images »