New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

help with my photography

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Allmac

Allmac is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately you have been given a lot of inaccurate information. As a professional for over 40 years and a believer in keep it simple, here is what you need to do.

No tripod - the flash alone should expose the image
100 ISO
125 / sec, or the highest sync speed the camera allows
Ambient (room) light high or low - no matter - the flash is the only exposure
Bounce off ceiling aimed slightly behind you
The folds in the muslin will show. Consider photographic paper roll, probably cheaper than muslin anyway.

Can be made white in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements by placing the magic wand in the area and feather to about 3. Keep clicking in the background whilst holding down "shift" adding to the selection till the entire muslin is selected.

Then select Enhance > adjust lighting > Levels. In levels you will see a white eye dropper. Click that in the darkest area of the muslin. The entire muslin will be perfectly white in a moment.

All of the above works, but is not as professional as using a camera with external flash socket and obtaining a two flash semi-pro system

As the electronics are very delicate in modern cameras, all external flash unit systems should be triggered by an external wireless unit. Mine was about $20. Saves tripping over flash cables too.

When you have a 2 flash system, bounce one off the roof slightly behind you (or via an umbrella or bounce off a card or muslin near your camera, slightly behind - to avoid light spill into the lens) and the other flash aimed at the background, say sitting on a tripod near floor level. Or simply sitting on the floor with the reflector on cooking foil to bounce it up and to keep the floor from any heat from the flash.

If the rear light does not spread enough, either move it away from the background or cover it with an opaque white plastic shopping bag. Do you still have thin white shopping bags in your area? That's all I use.

You can also have a coloured background by placing colour cellophane over the rear flash.

Alternative
Do you have a big window in the house? On holidays I take some outstanding images just using the light near the window in the hotel. See attached. ( note I did a quick change of background to white - you would need to enlarge your photo and do more of the hair areas than I did)

Set on Auto, spot meter reading - easy as.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Allmac; 04-04-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: New information
QUOTE Thanks
walky60

walky60 is on a distinguished road

I think the person needs to read a bit more on the subject and do not expect to be taught everything here. This is not a photography forum and it is obvious she /he has not learned a lot about photography yet to understand many things said to her. Study first. Read. Try out things, experiment, but please do not expect to be hand guided through a photo session and lighting here.
QUOTE Thanks
walky60

walky60 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest she goes to Ugly Hedgehog - Photography Forum which is for photography novices and ask these questions there.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by walky60 View Post
I think the person needs to read a bit more on the subject and do not expect to be taught everything here. This is not a photography forum and it is obvious she /he has not learned a lot about photography yet to understand many things said to her. Study first. Read. Try out things, experiment, but please do not expect to be hand guided through a photo session and lighting here.
Well said my friend. We are a Apple Mac forum, so we don't need the (mines bigger than yours) going on, and the I know more than you. Its not helping the OP 1 bit, it would be more confusing than anything.

To the OP, take what you want from here, but at the end of the day, with what you have, you are not going to get Studio Quality images, so play and experiment, and you will soon know what works and doesn't.
Go and check out the photography forum linked above for more even argument

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
DougStocks

DougStocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap17 View Post
BTW... I do not like the Muslin white background. I'm going to be getting a 9'x20' White Vinyl Background instead. It takes way to much time to steam the muslin background smooth.
Many people wrinkle their muslin intentionally (and store it wrinkled up - not folded). Then place the model about 6 feet in front of the background muslin and shoot wide open. This gives a nice uniform appearance to the background.
QUOTE Thanks
jfthomas70

jfthomas70 is on a distinguished road

Just quit the messing around. Get a reasonable white background, could be a sheet or poster board. Then get some floods and light your subject. Set the camera up on a tripod and look at the object. Is it lit the way you want? To much light? move the light a bit. Get it so you do not have to use a flash!

This is basic photography.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStocks View Post
Many people wrinkle their muslin intentionally (and store it wrinkled up - not folded). Then place the model about 6 feet in front of the background muslin and shoot wide open. This gives a nice uniform appearance to the background.
Agreed, this seems to be the "norm" with most professional photographers. When they need it, they just hang it up, spread it out and give it a good shake or two then done..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Of interest to this thread for everyone in it:

How to Create Multiple Portrait Styles with One Speedlight – PictureCorrect
QUOTE Thanks
conamor

conamor is on a distinguished road

Wow. First off, thanks for replying this much to me. I do understand that there is way more information now that I needed.
My main problem was that I was using the automatic option... I thought that it could have done the job by itself without too much adjustment.

I lowered down the ISO to 200, I am in a basement without too much lightning and that did the job, my subject is definitely sharper and clearer. The white background, this is another issue and again, I do understand that without good lightning, I won't be able to do much.

Software will be there to help me. I will continue to play around with the settings, take the same pose but with different settings then compare them.

Thanks again everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
handicap17

handicap17 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21" iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 2, iPad 3, 13" Macbook Pro (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStocks View Post
This is true for colored backgrounds but for a white background you want it to be as smooth as possible. The wrinkles will create shadows and you don't want that when the background is white.
QUOTE Thanks
DougStocks

DougStocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by conamor View Post
Wow. First off, thanks for replying this much to me. I do understand that there is way more information now that I needed.
My main problem was that I was using the automatic option... I thought that it could have done the job by itself without too much adjustment.

I lowered down the ISO to 200, I am in a basement without too much lightning and that did the job, my subject is definitely sharper and clearer. The white background, this is another issue and again, I do understand that without good lightning, I won't be able to do much.

Software will be there to help me. I will continue to play around with the settings, take the same pose but with different settings then compare them.

Thanks again everyone!
If you live near a College or University, they may offer one or more photography courses as part of their continuing education program. I highly recommend that you look into this.
QUOTE Thanks
chinajon

chinajon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24 @ 3GHz

Subject is on the muslin...
Make sure you are not using auto exposure. The camera will see the white background and the exposure will be too short.
If you can zoom in on the subject, set the focus and exposure, zoom out for the shot, you will get better results.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Label maker | Image Size »