New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Camera comparison

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cyaker

cyaker is on a distinguished road

Going on a trip with weight restrictions may not be able to take my SLR digital cameras will
iPhone
iPad
iPad Air
iPad mini
Camera with exterior lenses provide a satisfactory alternative for scenery pictures?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The latest iPhones have a very good camera on board which for the most part is better than some point and shoot cameras. However, taking your SLR would be best if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
cyaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The latest iPhones have a very good camera on board which for the most part is better than some point and shoot cameras. However, taking your SLR would be best if possible.
I agree but airplane weight restrictions less the my cameras and lenses
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyaker View Post
I agree but airplane weight restrictions less the my cameras and lenses
What sort of "dinosaur" SLR camera(s) are you working with that it is so heavy?...and how many lenses were you going to bring (seems to me one good "multi-purpose lens would be fine).

I have a Nikon D80...and I certainly wouldn't restrict myself to an iPhone camera if I didn't want to.

One SLR camera and one multi-purpose lens...and you're good to go!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cyaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What sort of "dinosaur" SLR camera(s) are you working with that it is so heavy?...and how many lenses were you going to bring (seems to me one good "multi-purpose lens would be fine).

I have a Nikon D80...and I certainly wouldn't restrict myself to an iPhone camera if I didn't want to.

One SLR camera and one multi-purpose lens...and you're good to go!

- Nick
Nick
Two Cannon EOS 7D boxes with one Cannon 100 to 400 telephoto lens and a Tamron 18 to 250 and the allowed weight is 11 lb which needs to include my iPad toiletries and several days clothing. . While I may not need both boxes and the telephoto on this particular trip I am exploring my options..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyaker View Post
Two Cannon EOS 7D boxes with one Cannon 100 to 400 telephoto lens and a Tamron 18 to 250 and the allowed weight is 11 lb which needs to include my iPad toiletries and several days clothing.
I think that the one detail you didn't tell us is…you're not flying on a major commercial airline (for at least part of your trip). An 11lb. weight restriction means that you're flying on a very very small aircraft…into a very "off the beaten path" location.

So when you said "weight restrictions" initially…I don't think too many of us were imagining 11lbs for EVERYTHING.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cyaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think that the one detail you didn't tell us is…you're not flying on a major commercial airline (for at least part of your trip). An 11lb. weight restriction means that you're flying on a very very small aircraft…into a very "off the beaten path" location.

So when you said "weight restrictions" initially…I don't think too many of us were imagining 11lbs for EVERYTHING.

- Nick
Sorry didn't think that was necessary. On two previous trips Air New Zealand 15lb and Air South South Africa 18lb carry on which allowed personal items such as a lap top in addition I felt challenged and just made it in both cases while being under in checked baggage . Unfortunately the world is such that certain things need to be carried on if a traveler wants to be sure they arrive with him. That includes charging and ancillary paraphernalia as well. as personal needs items and meds which can't be checked. While I managed both previous instances I don't think I could handle eleven so I wanted to know how well Apples cameras stacked up. Not having any experience with add on lenses I thought the request was a reasonable one maybe I was wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have not seen anyone here talk about Add on lenses for the iphone. Maybe a photography site might have more info on such lenses.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

I personally would not use "add on" lens for a iPhone or iAnything. But thats me..

Also check with the airlines, they normally have special rules for cameras. Which, allow you with more weight in your camera bag.

That said. For travel you only need two lens. For example I am carrying my 17-70 and 75-300 with me next week to Taiwan. But I have a Dolica DK10 backpack. Its small, verisitile and protective of my camera and gear. It can carry camera and 3 lens with no problem, plus my battery grip, two remotes, cleaning gear, external HDD, cards, dozen filters or so and lens hoods, plus more. Still be under weight for camera equipment. Airlines understand this as no one unless they have a pelican case is going to check-in 10k in camera gear and the airlines doesn't want to have to pay for broken camera gear. So they allow more weight.. Also most males dont know this, but you can have TWO carry on bags. Camera Bad, Laptop or if you female one of those two and a purse.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
deryck23

deryck23 is on a distinguished road

I am amazed that of all the responses only one person had the honesty to put his hand up and attempt to address the question - but at least he did address the question in saying "I do not know" and then helpfully went onto to say what he kindly thought MIGHT be of help

Everyone else just effectively ignored the question altogether effectively saying that is a daft question In other words you all felt the questioner was daft and when on to tell him things he probably knew already without even having the honesty to day "I do not know"

One person even had the in my view impertinence today that he would not use an add on - thereby saying no body else should! I do not use many things but I respect that others want to

And as it happens I came on line to see the answer to the question Of course an add on to an iPhone will never equal a dedicated camera No one thinks it will BUt for some of us there are times we have no option but to rely on out iPhone There are many many reasons for this So a bit more respect for people who ask questions? I am professional film maker and have to rely on my iPhone as a god send frequently and an add on lens is just what I need

I cannot answer the question either I am afraid but there was a good review of such things in MacUser here in UK a while ago - maybe mid 2013 or earlier There may have been updates

And if anyone does come up with an informative answer please do let me know

Many thanks

deryck
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 7, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

The OP stated he "may" not be able to take his DSLR and enquired whether an add on lens for iPhone / iPad was a worthy deputy for landscape photography - that's the way I read the post anyway.

Therefore any replies are by necessity going to consist of opinion and from what I have read are certainly not condescending in any way but simply offering that personal opinion. Add on lenses are very much in their infancy and it's unlikely many on here have any experience of them. For that reason, suggesting that the OP takes whatever measure he can to take all or some of his existing camera kit instead is a valid opinion.

Who'd have thought it - opinions rife on an internet message board.

However in an attempt to redress the balance and try to help the OP further, there is such a lens available from Sony and a review can be found here:

Review: Sony's Cyber-shot QX10 wireless camera lens for iPhone [u]

It was here in Hamburg that the Rutles found themselves far from home, and far from talented.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

nickyr, Thanks for helping the OP!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I am amazed that of all the responses only one person had the honesty to put his hand up and attempt to address the question - but at least he did address the question in saying "I do not know" and then helpfully went onto to say what he kindly thought MIGHT be of help
A little bit of forum etiquette is needed here. Your reply certainly does not help or add anything to this discussion except to criticize others. These forums are volunteer peer to peer. If you're expecting expert advice or what "you" consider to be helpful advice from each reply, that's what paid technical support is for.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I agree with you that the criticism part was wrong but the OP did ask about Lenses for an iPhone or iPad and no one did address his question.

I would have but no nothing about the subject.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I agree with you that the criticism part was wrong but the OP did ask about Lenses for an iPhone or iPad and no one did address his question.

I would have but no nothing about the subject.
I gave what little knowledge I could about them is that most people in the photo world look at them as en expensive gimmick, thus I would never use them. So I tried to help out on the reason he wanted to go with a iPhone.. But IDK, figured some info was better then just ignoring him.. hehe

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does Image Capture's TIFF use LZW? | resizing pictures for archiving »