New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

An oldy but a goody

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

I recently got hold of an old Nikkor 24mm f2.8 AIS.

Great lens to use for landscape where the ability to use hyperfocal distance focusing is more important than auto focus. It has a proper focus scale, aperture ring and markings enabling this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens1.jpg (368.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg lens2.jpg (384.9 KB, 40 views)

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Nick, your camera full frame? I was thinking the D700 was. 24mm making a good wide focal length on full frame.
My UWA is 10-22 (or 16-35 on full frame). So if yours is like mine, focusing isn't an issue even on manual as most of the time it can be set to infinity unless someone walks up right in front of you. Since I do a lot of night shooting mine stays in MF more then AF anyway.. The 24mm should make a great addition for you.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

yep it's FF Joe so 24m is wide enough

i normally like to get a lot of foreground detail in my landscapes and i find focusing on infinity doesn't give enough sharpness tothe foreground

i read about hyperfocal distance focusing and switched to that.

essentially you focus at a distance determined by your focal length and aperture:

eg at 24mm i like to shoot at f11 to prevent any diffraction and the HFD is just over 5 feet. this ensures everything from around 2.5 feet (half the HFD) to infinity is sharp

old lenses with an aperture scale are great for this, but with modern lenses with no focus markings it can be a bit hit and miss!

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

My WA lens is the Tokina 11-16, which thankfully has a distance scale.

I shoot using back-button autofocus instead of using the shutter, so when there is adequate light I usually pick something in the foreground, focus on that and recompose. At night, MF of course.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 128Gb

Nice lens, more than wide enough on FF. Can't beat these old skool lenses!!

On my D3s I used the Nikkor N 24-70 f/2.8 and just focused to 1/3 of the way into the frame/scene and shot at f/11 for landscape. Like you focussing to infinity left the foreground detail lacking and that is much more important to have sharp as it is more noticeable when you go pixel peeping!

Happy shooting!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« card reader help | Black Friday Deal on Photoshop CC »