New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Resize photos for web

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

OK so I have adobe photoshop CC.

I need to resize photos for the web so they will load faster.

Some are resized already in the html.

How do I resize for web?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Hello - I use Preview for quick cropping & resizing (also, other basic editing can be done) - see the attached pic - a screen capture of an art work brought into the app - the 'Edit' button (blue arrow) will open the lower menu bar; the 'Resize' button (yellow arrow) will allow the size of the image to be change (in this case for posting, I reduced the dimensions by half). Hope this helps - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 10.33.57 AM.png (381.7 KB, 73 views)
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

Thanks for the reply. As I understand there are two ways to resize and one is for web and one is for print.

Could you elaborate on making sure I do the right one for web?

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hello - I use Preview for quick cropping & resizing (also, other basic editing can be done) - see the attached pic - a screen capture of an art work brought into the app - the 'Edit' button (blue arrow) will open the lower menu bar; the 'Resize' button (yellow arrow) will allow the size of the image to be change (in this case for posting, I reduced the dimensions by half). Hope this helps - Dave
Is that a power socket right next to the sink? What country allows that?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedfaceless View Post
Thanks for the reply. As I understand there are two ways to resize and one is for web and one is for print.
Could you elaborate on making sure I do the right one for web?
Hello again - I've attached several pics (the first another screen capture w/ the 'Resize' option opened; and a pic from the web illustrating 'Print sizes vs. Megapixel size' needed for a decent print).

For web posting, the resolution of a computer monitor is typically 72 ppi (pixels/inch) - in the pic below mine is set for 144 ppi, which is fine for the web - your next concerns are the size of the image and the overall number of pixels (720 x 400 in my example); the latter is important in emailing/uploading images, i.e. the smaller the better (of course, w/o compromising quality - it's a 'trade-off'). As to image dimensions, the pic should fit the monitor or be smaller; this will vary w/ the size of the monitor & its resolution - I usually keep my uploaded images under 1000 pixels (for the larger dimension) - experiment yourself.

For printing, that is an entirely different set of guidelines; the standard 'good' quality print will require 300 dpi (dots/inch - same as ppi); SO, an image will need MANY more total pixels to make a decent print - look at the attached chart and see the blue arrow I added - for a 5 x 7 inch print, over 3 MP is suggested (even 1.5 MP at 200 dpi). Let us know if this helps - Dave

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 10.50.23 AM.png (122.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 10.52.20 AM.png (217.3 KB, 69 views)
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Well, not so much country (North Carolina, USA) but timing - our house was built in the late 1960s, and I assume that was code @ the time (a 3 wire plug w/ a ground is present). We had the same in both bathrooms and the kitchen - we remodeled the BRs & kitchen earlier this century and now all sockets are GFCI - never thought of replacing the one in the den - LOL! Dave
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

That helps out a lot actually. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

burnedfaceless:
Here's another method that I would recommend...
First 2 steps include resizing. Skip to #3 if you don't need pixel dimensions changed.
1) Open image, Choose>Image Size
assuming that you are decreasing the size of the image (or at least not enlarging it)
2) Select Pixel size that you require. If you're not sure, about 1000 pixels the long direction is typically plenty big. Make sure "resample image' and 'bicubic sharper" are selected. Ignore the resolution-- it's irrelevant for your task and will be dealt with automatically.
3) Select>File>Save For Web...
4) On the next screen, select JPEG HIGH for preset and 60 for quality. Check 'convert to sRGB'.
5) Click Save... and select a location.
The file will save automatically as 72 dpi, the quality will be very good for web and the file size will be minimal.
QUOTE Thanks
burnedfaceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDaCat View Post
burnedfaceless:
Here's another method that I would recommend...
First 2 steps include resizing. Skip to #3 if you don't need pixel dimensions changed.
1) Open image, Choose>Image Size
assuming that you are decreasing the size of the image (or at least not enlarging it)
2) Select Pixel size that you require. If you're not sure, about 1000 pixels the long direction is typically plenty big. Make sure "resample image' and 'bicubic sharper" are selected. Ignore the resolution-- it's irrelevant for your task and will be dealt with automatically.
3) Select>File>Save For Web...
4) On the next screen, select JPEG HIGH for preset and 60 for quality. Check 'convert to sRGB'.
5) Click Save... and select a location.
The file will save automatically as 72 dpi, the quality will be very good for web and the file size will be minimal.
Thanks will experiment. Part of the job is adding a logo and I'm having trouble with the framework we're working out of. I hate to say it but I'm probably going to have to dig through the css.

Appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
LOL I Guess every country but the UK.. The one in the bathroom in the USA can have them but some places require them to have the switch with the micro circuit breaker.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
LOL I Guess every country but the UK.. The one in the bathroom in the USA can have them but some places require them to have the switch with the micro circuit breaker.
Just curious about when the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) became code in the USA - see attached chart; bathrooms in 1975 (we moved into our house in 1977); kitchen 1987; and wet bar not until 1993. NOW, pre-code wiring is 'grandfathered', so we would not have needed to upgrade in our kitchen and bathroom remodels as long as the power outlet sockets remained in the same place, but we did for safety; and if we sold the house, I would not have to update the power outlet in the bar sink area. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GFCI-Chart.jpg (120.2 KB, 50 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Depends on where you live. Here in Texas GFCI is required wherever a water connection is present - bathrooms, laundry rooms, wash sink, etc, and in the garage. They're really a pain because their longevity is short. I have had to replace every one of mine with upgraded GFCI sockets. You can do it easily enough yourself but local code usually requires the job be done by a licensed electrician.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Sorry to interrupt this meeting of the Electrical Workers' Union () but I thought I'd throw in that my ancient copy of Photoshop (CS3) has a specific menu item called "Save for Web and Devices" that automatically takes an image you have open and scales it for 72dpi (web standard) and lets you tweak the compression for best compromise of image quality and size. If you're already inside Photoshop working on an image, then that's probably the best option for making web-optimized images. The latest versions may call this option something else, I wouldn't know.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Sorry to interrupt this meeting of the Electrical Workers' Union () but I thought I'd throw in that my ancient copy of Photoshop (CS3) has a specific menu item called "Save for Web and Devices" that automatically takes an image you have open and scales it for 72dpi (web standard) and lets you tweak the compression for best compromise of image quality and size. If you're already inside Photoshop working on an image, then that's probably the best option for making web-optimized images. The latest versions may call this option something else, I wouldn't know.
OH, Chas_m - you're breaking up the party! And, no one commented on my beautiful Australian Aboriginal linocut hanging in that bar area - so sad - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The Aboriginal linocut is beautiful -- I also fancy all those wood burn brands that make up the wallpaper!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upload photos to Facebook | Graphic Design with a 13'' »